A little overclocking help

Permabanned
Basically im fairly new to overclocking, but looking to get into it a bit more now.
Running a p8p67 pro with an i5 2500k and a H70 cooling it.

Managed to get myself upto 4.8Ghz with temps below 70 still but its not stable and im not sure how to make it stable.

I have essentially followed this guide: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=265398 , which i do understand and saw linked around here so figured it was a good starting point.

Now my CPU manual voltage is upto 1.425 and my instinct to make this stable is to up that, is that correct?

I'd love to get this to 5Ghz at decent temps if it permitts, however im not 100% sure how to approach it after 4.8, do i need to touch on other settings?
Also any other advice appreciated!

Permabanned
OP
Point taken i shouldve said this is purely to see what i can get out of the chip and not planned for a everyday overclock and for my general knowledge of overclocking.
However if im pushing the volts a little too much then maybe ill leave it?

Associate
the thing to watch when pushing voltages is temerature. I personally wouldn't push past .2v above stock without some kind of improved cooling solution, and even then I'd be careful. Chips can respond to increased voltage in very unpredictable ways - some seem to handle it fine then die in a month or so, some seem to put out an improbably large amount of heat, some just deal with it and you've nothing to fear.

Increased voltages can, at later stages and higher temperatures actually bring about instabilities of themselves - as at higher voltages and higer temperatures the resistive material between the traces ("wires") within the processor can only handle so much, and you get something called 'electron migration' - where electrons jump across traces and induce (at best) errors or (at worst) deep-fried CPU's.

My personal limits are to push voltages up tentatively until either stable or a temperature of 65-70 under load is reached. If you want to overclock past this point, and you're noth bothered about chip life you've got to look at improving cooling. Either a bigger, heftier cooler or splash out (no pun intended) on watercooling.

Anyway, this is a discussion point. Increasing voltages is a personal choice thing usually judged by how able you feel to bear the financial burden of possibly needing to purchase a new CPU after consigning yours to the realm of the keyring/paperweight.

Cheers!
Mike

Back
Top Bottom