Few pics of the MG after a long-over due wash!

Associate
Hi folks,

Snapped a few quick pictures on the smartphone after giving the car a scrub as I thought it looked pretty good in the sunshine, do you guys like it? :)

Rick

mgb%201.jpg

mgb%203.jpg

mgb%202.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks cracking!

I often wonder if I have the time, dedication, money, ability etc. to keep a car like that. If ever I was to give it a shot the MGB seems to be one of the best places to start with the wealth of information and parts that are out there.

Associate
OP
Hi folks,

Really appreciate all the positive feedback and comments, have tried to respond to them below. In terms of background, I've had the car about 3 months now, doesn't get driven as much as it deserves but I'm covered to drive it in Europe so I'm planning to get away this summer hopefully.

I might try and get some interior shots for you folks, be warned though, it's not exactly concourse!

Rick

stulid - Rusty tail pipe makes me a sad panda
The car is 40 years old now, so you'd be a very sad panda if you got a good look at it! It was only £1900 when I got hold of it, which is cheap for a chrome bumper car, so it's in pretty poor condition cosmetically. That said, in the dark / with lots of glare it looks great!

MrFunex - Nice! What's it like to drive? Once you let it warm up it drives great. Makes an awesome 'schnick' sound when you're changing the gears and you get 'overdrive' in 3 & 4, which is a bit like gear 3.5 and 4.5, it drops in electrnically, so you just flick a switch on the dash, it's pretty cool. There's no power steering so it's a little heavy before you get used to it, but the car doesn't weigh much and the steering wheel is massive so you get good leverage. I'm sure there's plenty of chavved up novas and saxos that could embaress it at the traffic lights but it's not really that sort of car. That said, I have seen a supercharger kit that takes it from roughly 65 BHP @ the wheels to 100+, if it behaves itself at the MOT in October it could be a fun winter project!

oldbag- Wire wheels are cooler.
Pipedown ;) Rostyles are cooler/cheaper/handle better/lower maintenance.

MrLOL - You should get somebody to give it a good machine polishing, i think it would really benefit it. I paid a polish guy £5 for the sparkling result attached but it's not fantastic, can anyone recommend anyone good in the London area or in Lincolnshire?

Sonea Fifer - I maybe wrong but I'm pretty sure it was 76 when they changed to the huge black rubber bumpers from the chrome ones? Don't know exactly when but they also messed with the interior and raised the ride-height (boo!)

lordrobs - I often wonder if I have the time, dedication, money, ability etc. to keep a car like that. If ever I was to give it a shot the MGB seems to be one of the best places to start with the wealth of information and parts that are out there.

I'm not very mechanical, which is why I got started with the B as it's pretty cheap to maintain / look after and there's lots of support on the web. Ultimately it'll be rust that takes it out I think, especially as this one has spent a lot of it's life outside in the british weather. Apparently the engines are derived from some agricultural one in the mists of time, so once you get one going they go on and on (fingers crossed anyway!)

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah rust does seem to be the killer. In dream land where I often toy with the idea of a classic the MGB and Triumph Spitfire are always right up there. As far as I can tell the MG is a monocoque while the Spitfire is chassis based? What that really means in regards to them being killed off by rust I don't know although I believe with a chassis based car you can strip it down and sort the rust / replace bits easier?

Back
Top Bottom