Babysitting a cat. I have questions

Soldato
Hi

I'm looking after the gf's cat for two weeks. Its the first time he's been to my flat. He knows me and does play with me when I'm at the gf's house.

Since coming to my house on Friday he's hid under the bed. He only comes out for food. I'm letting him be.

Will he come out in his own time? Shall I encourage him to come out? Is this normal for a cat in a new place?

Thank you :)

Caporegime
He's getting used to the new surroundings. Perfectly normal, I've seen cats do this before. He'll come out when he's good and ready. The main thing is that he's eating. :)

Give it a couple more days, I reckon he'll be on the prowl by then. ;)

Associate
Yes this is normal behaviour. He will take time to adjust to your house, new scents etc. You could try to lure him out by handfeeding him treats once he comes out of hiding enough he will see that there is no danger in his new surroundings. This may take a few days.

Permabanned
Whack it.

Cats dont understand the English, so a good hard belt works wonders.

Otherwise, im sure he will come out in his own time... our kitten hid for ages under the sofa, looking all squashed. In the end he came out so I whacked him, I mean he hasnt been there since.

Soldato
Would it not have been a lot easier for her to leave the cat where it lives and you go around twice a day or whatever the cat needs to feed it, let it out, clean it's litter tray etc. If you live miles away from your girlfriend and the cat gets out, you are looking for a new girlfriend unless you find an identical cat before she gets back, makes no sense babysitting a cat the way you are doing it.

Associate
I have 3 cats love them to bits. When a cat is introduced don't disturb them. When you are out it will explore.

If you have anything of your gf with her scent on it (dirty washing ect) if so put it with the cat help relax it, as It will be stressed. Don't force the cat to come out or you will just stress it more. But do spend time with it let it know everything is ok.

Is the cat eating and drinking at all? If not get some cat treats for it whiskers crunches are really good and some cat milk just to make sure it gets something.

Don't try and pick the cat up and try not to stand above it kneeling down will make it feel less threatened. Basically as long as the cat is eating and drinking it will be fine just give it time.

Back
Top Bottom