• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**Gigabyte Super OC GTX 480's - VERY LOW PRICES!**

Associate
I'm not sure if i can just ask for a refund even if it's not faulty as i ordered it on the 7th and they got it back on the 14th today?

Associate
Well it looks like I spoke too soon. With a bit more robust testing using OCCT, errors have been detected when running at 820, 1640, 950. I guess this is why the clocks are set at 700 etc. by default on mine :(

I noticed the card is idling very hot at around the mid 50s and the temps are getting up to 90C+ under load. It is when they hit around 85+ that the errors begin and their rate gets progressively worse as the card heats up more.

I thought I would give the other Bios a try. The default clocks on this are the correct factory overclocked settings and unsurprisingly failed OCCT within 2 minutes. I think someone has been fiddling with the SOC bios.

Last edited:
Associate
is there another bios i can try? if so, where?

The SOC has a dual Bios. There is a Bios button on the card that you can press to switch between them. The button glows blue or red when the card is powered up. Blue is the default SOC Bios and Red is the LN Bios. In theory there should be little difference between them other than the LN bios is designed to avoid problems caused by very low temperature cooling solution. You may need to reboot for the switch to take effect in the OS.

Soldato
The SOC has a dual Bios. There is a Bios button on the card that you can press to switch between them. The button glows blue or red when the card is powered up. Blue is the default SOC Bios and Red is the LN Bios. In theory there should be little difference between them other than the LN bios is designed to avoid problems caused by very low temperature cooling solution. You may need to reboot for the switch to take effect in the OS.

I thought the red switch also allows for more overclocking. The blue on looks better IMO :)
I had the same problems with both BIOS's

Associate
this card costs twice the price of one HD 5850 1GB & draws a massive 140watts more under full load yet only performs 10% better !! am i missing something here with Nvidia cards ?

Associate
Associate
I tested my replacement card from OCUK and found much higher GPU voltage on this card than the last one. The card doesn't give errors immediately on OCCT like the last one but it does eventually when the card hits 80 degrees. There are two problems with these cards as I see it. For people that get instant errors, the GPU voltage is set way too low for the default clock speed. For those that get errors only when the card heats up, that I am guessing is related to heat induced electron migration. So if we up the volts and keep the card below 75 degrees somehow it should be stable at the SOC speed...

Now I just have to figure how to keep it that cool without a side mounted fan or open case...

Associate
i'm not sure about xfire but according to this site (below) this nvidia card is only slightly better than a single ati HD5850,not enough performance gain to justify the 140 watts & the high price tag.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2010/03/27/nvidia-geforce-gtx-480-1-5gb-review/9

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2010/03/27/nvidia-geforce-gtx-480-1-5gb-review/10

Take a look at the results here

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/295?vs=309

The 5850 is no were nere as powerfull as a 480gtx 1 on 1

Associate
I tested my replacement card from OCUK and found much higher GPU voltage on this card than the last one. The card doesn't give errors immediately on OCCT like the last one but it does eventually when the card hits 80 degrees. There are two problems with these cards as I see it. For people that get instant errors, the GPU voltage is set way too low for the default clock speed. For those that get errors only when the card heats up, that I am guessing is related to heat induced electron migration. So if we up the volts and keep the card below 75 degrees somehow it should be stable at the SOC speed...

Now I just have to figure how to keep it that cool without a side mounted fan or open case...

i fitted 2 exhast fans at the back pulling the heat off the pcb and directly out of the machine

they realy do kik the heat out the back instead of leaving it in the machine etc

Associate
Did you return as faulty or DSR?
i would change it to DSR tomorriw morning if possible

Done.. refund being processed now! I don't think i will get to find out if it was faulty now though unfortunately.

I'm either going for the 570 or save up for the 580 not quite sure yet :confused:

Back
Top Bottom