a(nother) new build!

Associate
Hello everyone.
I was here a while ago whilst doing my first build, which was a success, and I got some great help here... Well I've now sold all the components out of boredom to make way for a new Sandybridge build! Fun times...
Just wondering if anyone has any input/advice for the components I've picked out so far?

343szk3.png

I've read some really glowing reports on the Prolimatech Genesis - which I'll use with 3 Akasa Apache fans & an Akasa PWM Splitter Cable, for CPU controlled speeds. In my first build (i7 950) I had the Corsair H70, which was good but just extremely loud...
The hard drive is just to tide me over whilst I decide on an SSD - with new SATA3 models getting released and prices constantly changing, I want to hold off a little and see the market settle before buying...
With regards to overclocking - for some reason on my last build I just wasn't able to secure a stable overclock...! I found it incredibly frustrating because everyone was raving about how easy it is to OC an i7 950 to 4GHz, but I just couldn't do it! Of course I will have been doing something wrong & lack of patience doesn't help, but hopefully this time around it will be smooth sailing...
The case & PSU may very well be overkill, but....... Why not! In my last build I had the Fractal Design Define r3 & the Corsair HX850W, which I was really pleased with, but the Corsair 700D is pretty fit :D

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Soldato
Unless you're going for full water cooling - which you're not by the look of it, the 700D is pretty atrocious as an air cooling case.

What are you using it for? If it's for gaming then the cheaper i5 2500K is just as good as games don't make use of HT atm.

SB runs very very cool, so a fan like the Gelid Tranquillo will cool it quietly and sufficiently - look at some reviews, it's very very quiet :)

There is no benefit of higher speed ram, as you have to overclock the ram to get to 1600MHz with SB anyway :p Cheaper 1600Mhz will still give you enough headroom and be kinder to your wallet.

1200W is massive overkill for a PSU - any reason you're not re-using the HX850W?

Associate
certainly will be spacious! the core area of your spec is good mate and thats the main thing....a case is a personnal choice and theres nothing wrong in my mind having a power house psu.....you may want to add a second 580 in the future so at least its future proof..

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the advice. To be honest I'm quite into maxing out as much as I can, however overkill it may be. Who knows when 1200w may come in handy!!!

I thought the spaciousness of the 700D might be beneficial to air flow for the Genesis, but I'm concerned from Cookeh's comments about it being apparently "atrocious" for air cooling... Argh! It is such a nice case though!!!

With regards to the ram - it did cross my mind about it limiting an OC... The problem I have is, my first build had 12gb tri-channel ram, which I regularly used a fair chunk of in music production/large sample libraries... 12gb was really ideal for me but obviously with this new setup I'm planning, I only have dual-channel options..

Soldato
Maybe an M4 for the SSD? Or the Intel Elmcrest?

Couple of things, as you've said Why Not on the PSU and Case :)

Well PSU will keep you going for a long time, very nice choice.

Not so sure about the Case though, might look into something different.
It's not fantastic for Air Cooling that, Maybe look at the Silverstone RV02 (or the RV03 that's now on pre-order). Other option might be a Corsair 650D (I've heard some good things - but I'd look into the 650D more as I haven't seen too much about it, just heard whispers)

As for the CPU cooler... not a personal preference of mine...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLBVBn07Anc&feature=channel_video_title

I'd check out that...

For the money you're spending you could get a D14!

kd

Soldato
The Obsidian series is a watercooling case and is well known for being a terrible air cooling case. Why not go for a Lian-Li?

(edit: Do not go for the 650D - the 200mm fan is crap and there are issues ATM with the fan controller)

Associate
OP
King Damager - thanks for that link - I enjoyed the review (although it has put me off the genesis!), ended up checking out a few other of his reviews, and stumbled upon the xspc rs360, which leads me to the RX360!
I really want the corsair 700d, so maybe water cooling is the way forward?! Okay, so yes, it is true that I've never done it before, have no idea how to... But it's possible!

Caporegime
only chose that ssd to keep cost low :p only need it for the OS

So the pc just boots up a bit faster, great.

Most people including myself also run games and applications from the SSD, which benefits in game loading times/application response etc etc.

Just having the O/S running on the SSD is pointless.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom