a(nother) new build!

Soldato
So the pc just boots up a bit faster, great.

Most people including myself also run games and applications from the SSD, which benefits in game loading times/application response etc etc.

Just having the O/S running on the SSD is pointless.

For the price SSDs are still pointless. I can't bring myself to justify or recommend to someone spending such a large amount of money for a few nano-seconds increase in game loading times. WOW! :o

Associate
OP
SSD is something I definitely want to invest in and completely disagree about them being "pointless" - the only reason I'm holding off on purchasing one is because I want 480/512GB, so I want to see the prices pipe down a little first...

Anyone have any experience with the XSPC RX360? It would push my budget to its limit but could be a good investment?
The thing is, perhaps I would change cases for a more air-friendly one, and get the Noctua D14, which seems to be at the top of its game, and would make things a lot easier... But it really is the ugliest cooler I think I've ever laid eyes on!

Associate
i dont have an ssd, but i do have one 320GB HDD, and i dont really wanna pay £431 for an equivalent, thats why i thought people onllly used smaller SSD'S for OS's only :O ive seen some Hard drives that spin at something like 10k rpm, how far off are these from ssds? or am i completely wrong?

Caporegime
I had a 74GB raptor(10,000rpm) a few years ago, its not even close to being at SSD speeds.

A 64GB SSD will hold the OS and say 4-6 of your favorite games and apps, so you just install what you like.

Soldato
Stu, that hasn't nothing to do with my point of game loading times xD

I'll still never fork out for one at current price. Certainly not for gaming.

Yes, I would recommend one for serious video or picture editing - but only if an SSD won't compromise other hardware that will affect rendering etc which is more important than raw loading times.

Real world however, when was the last time you opened up 20images in Photoshop whilst playing a film and copying 1.6GB of data?

Those benchmarks are moronic.

When they're around 50p/GB I'll consider one more carefully, until then, unless I win the lottery it's not happening.

Caporegime
Stu, that hasn't nothing to do with my point of game loading times xD

I'll still never fork out for one at current price. Certainly not for gaming.

Yes, I would recommend one for serious video or picture editing - but only if an SSD won't compromise other hardware that will affect rendering etc which is more important than raw loading times.

Real world however, when was the last time you opened up 20images in Photoshop whilst playing a film and copying 1.6GB of data?

Those benchmarks are moronic.

When they're around 50p/GB I'll consider one more carefully, until then, unless I win the lottery it's not happening.

If you have never had one then you cant pass judgment:p

the in game loading times are significantly reduced.

Thats all thank you.

Last edited:
Associate
you've tempted me to buy one now! :D only thing is, i use steam and my win 7 disk is broken so now my OS hangs for 2 mins before windows reads the hard drives files to boot up, so it wouldnt really be worth it, right??

Caporegime
you've tempted me to buy one now! :D only thing is, i use steam and my win 7 disk is broken so now my OS hangs for 2 mins before windows reads the hard drives files to boot up, so it wouldnt really be worth it, right??

fit the SSD, install a fresh win7 on it.

stick the HDD on another sata port and format it, then put steam on the HDD if its to big, if the HDD is really knackered then £30 will get a great 500gb one.

put some of your favorite other games and apps on the SSD remain space.

unfortunately STEAM seems to be the only problem, unless you can afford a SSD thats big enough to store it, but then some peoples STEAM accounts are bigger than others too, i can get STEAM and the few games I got on my SSD no problems.

Last edited:
Soldato
Still never buying one at current prices Stu :p But thanks for link!

Wentalong, you can infact have several Steam installs on one PC - so you could put most played games in one Steam on SSD and others on HDD :)

Soldato
Just having the O/S running on the SSD is pointless.

I disagree, I have just moved from a raptor to a 60GB OCZ vertex for Windows 7 and the performance difference is huge, the OS is probably one of the best things you could put on an SSD, it makes the whole system snappier.

I followed this guide: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorial...reate-move-during-windows-7-installation.html to move the users folder to a secondary disk (1TB WD Black) because it's where most of the bulk comes from in terms of disk space aside from apps like steam which you should install on the secondary disk.

Ed Bott also has an excellent guide on tweaking Windows 7 for an SSD which is useful: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/windows-7-and-ssds-just-how-fast-are-they/2902

Last edited:
Caporegime
I disagree, I have just moved from a raptor to a 60GB OCZ vertex for Windows 7 and the performance difference is huge, the OS is probably one of the best things you could put on an SSD, it makes the whole system snappier.

This is a gaming pc and to get the benefits of the SSD the games need to be install to it too.

As per the two videos posted.

Associate
OP
Well, I had refined my selection to this...

2gvrecj.png

But I'm thinking about the Gigabyte Z68 boards that are on the horizon... I'm wondering, do you think it would be worth buying a cheaper H67 board to tide me over, and then jump on the Z68 bandwagon once they're released?

Back
Top Bottom