grooming advice - post shave cuts

Associate
Gentlemen, I require advice on a very regular problem for me, and no doubt a good few others.

Whenever I have a proper shave (no electrics), I end up with a few small cuts, mainly around the chin area and one or both corners of my mouth (traditional mustache end area).

I always have a full shave, cutting back to the sideburns.

The tried and true Dad method to combating such cuts is the little bits of tissue approach. Obviously this looks shocking, and I get embarrassed driving to work with bits of tissue stuck to my face. Not to mention when you finally remove the bit of tissue, inevitably the bleeding will start again or you're left with an annoying red blotch on your face.

So what product or products are out there to stop this? Ideally in some sort of cream I can rub all over my shaving area, post shave.

I have tried the Nivea Post Shave Balm, which works ok, but I am sure there must be a better solution.

So in chin stroking summary Gents, any advice would be gratefully received to stop one of the banes of my morning routine.

Caporegime
You need to try and stretch the skin a bit more while shaving so its "flatter" for the blades, try jutting you chin out or something.

its why when you do the neck area you lift you head high into the air to get the skin flat and stretched out.

do you use a protected shaver with the guards across the blades?

Caporegime
I usually use a styptic pencil - can get it from tesco's or boots.

Stops the bleeding pretty instantly, stings a bit though.

^^^ best answer tbh...

In addition to this (the above IS the best way to stop the bleeding quickly as it actively promotes clotting) you might want to look into doing more to prevent cuts to begin with.

Always use a sharp blade etc.. also have you ever tried oil instead of foam/gel:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Somerset-Shaving-Oil/dp/B000VXW2HU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1302975503&sr=8-2

Prob just personal preference but the the above stuff is fantastic.

As for post shave - I've found that nivea sensitive after shave balm is great but perhpas if you're getting problems with cuts etc.. you might be better off with something containing tea tree oil (works as an antiseptic).

Soldato
Balls to a styptic pencil. Get an Alum block. Cheaper, does the same job and lasts forever.

Cold water and rub it all over where you have shaved. Closes pores and is a mild anti-septic. So means less irritation after you have shaved. Stings like a bitch too, especially if you have a nasty nick! :p

hux

hux

Soldato
Also give the hydro razor a go, i find it pretty decent for a cartridge razor.

Though i'll stick with my gem occm and slant bar.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom