Rate my CV!

Soldato
Hi all, about to send a bunch of these off (hard copies) and would appreciate the collective input of you guys in case I've done anything silly!

I'm applying to architectural firms, hence it not being such a traditional format. They generally require an example of work too.

The CV and example is printed double sided, so there will be three sheets of A4 paper total.

I'd really appreciate some feedback on the covering letter if you're able to trawl through it! Let me know if it's too small and I'll upload a larger one.

Thanks, Stu

35071212.jpg

18853440.jpg

16014013.jpg

60658220.jpg

41039104.jpg

Soldato
I prefer 'minimalist' bullet pointed lists instead of wordy cliches e.g. I have experience in, I am adept at, I am confident in.... Just put Skills: Use of software including .... Also your skills paragraph reads almost like a personal statement - keep it focussed list your skills and move on.

Associate
Third paragraph of your cover letter: "The built environments relationship..." is missing an apostrophe mate, I'll leave the more knowledgeable people to help more :)

Nice models!

Associate
One more thing in your cover letter - in the second to last paragraph - where you wrote "...should you wish to see more examples, and...", you should remove the comma before the "and"

Man of Honour
I'd be tempted to put your projects / work experience before your education, although there's no hard and fast rule.

Put what you think is most impressive first.

Also, I'm not sure how relevant your earlier work experience is to the application - up to you.

Soldato
Stupot - awesome CV!

Is there any chance you could email it to me, minus your personal details of course!

The reason i ask is, so i can edit it to my CV (don't worry, i am nothing to do with your chosen field of work!)

Soldato
OP
I prefer 'minimalist' bullet pointed lists instead of wordy cliches e.g. I have experience in, I am adept at, I am confident in.... Just put Skills: Use of software including .... Also your skills paragraph reads almost like a personal statement - keep it focussed list your skills and move on.

I've cut it down, thanks:)

Do you really need Skype on there?

Removed. That was remnant from when I was applying abroad and willing to video conference.

Third paragraph of your cover letter: "The built environments relationship..." is missing an apostrophe mate, I'll leave the more knowledgeable people to help more :)

Nice models!

Done, thanks

Love the presentation.

Thank you

One more thing in your cover letter - in the second to last paragraph - where you wrote "...should you wish to see more examples, and...", you should remove the comma before the "and"

Done

I'd be tempted to put your projects / work experience before your education, although there's no hard and fast rule.

Put what you think is most impressive first.

Also, I'm not sure how relevant your earlier work experience is to the application - up to you.

Had a similar comment from my careers tutor, I'm going to leave it as is as I don't want to split experience over two pages. the headings work quite well as they are laid out currently.

It's not really! But I don't have a lot of experience..! Thanks

One of the best CVs I've seen posted on here. Good job.

Thanks very much:)

One question... What's the general consensus on 'Until then I remain...' at the end of my covering letter. My dad recommended it but a couple of my friends have pulled it up! He works in a totally different industry...

Soldato
OP
Stupot - awesome CV!

Is there any chance you could email it to me, minus your personal details of course!

The reason i ask is, so i can edit it to my CV (don't worry, i am nothing to do with your chosen field of work!)

Sure, it's in indesign format which might not be that useful to you..! I can send that if you like, if not would a pdf be ok? email in trust:)

Soldato
I like it a lot, as a typography geek I predict you will get a lot of interest. On your CV itself, switch to implied first person, I, I, me, me never reads right - the tone on the second page of your CV is correct.

There's a bit of a flow issue on the first page, the columns change half way down the page - you can and should add some white space after the personal details / skills section.

The layout is great but you need to work on the content, as an employer i'd definately not throw it in the bin but when I read "I'm competent in..." and stuff about walking your dog on the first page then...

Associate
Great CV. May I ask which program you used to design and edit your CV?

My CV is just in plain word format and I think having a unique looking CV could have a better impression :p

Associate
Get rid of any work experience that isnt Architectural related.

I also found more success with only a few small examples of my work, say along the bottom/down the side and incorporated into the CV rather than 2 additional pages. Surely you have you're part 2 folio for that kinda stuff?

Also, cut down on the large blocks of text. Short and simple. Key points. You're going to be applying for jobs and competing against hundreds of other just as skilled (me included ;) ) part 2's so your really going to have be make your CV stand out. When an employer is on their 80th Cv of the day, they come to yours what will make them want to take notice?

Be creative, why have it A4's? Make it a leaflet, or a A5 flip book. The Jobs are rare, so you need to sell yourself.

Back
Top Bottom