Engine overheaded and now it runs funny.

Si.

Si.

Soldato
On my way home from work yesterday I split a radiator hose. I pulled over in a HUGE cloud of steam and coolant. I was stopped in a awkward spot fo rlet it cool a little then drove it a few hundred yards to where I could pull over (carefaully watching the temp gauge). Anyway, RAC man came, patched hose and I got home ok, however all the way home the engine was acting really bad, jumpy like it was misfiring. I checked the engine bay when i got home and obviously everything was dripping in water and coolant, battery, electrics, everything so i thought that was probably the cause and would be fine in the morning when it all dried out

So today I drive it to the garage to get the hose replaced (or ordered, didn't have the part in stock until Monday) and the car is doing the same thing. It seems Ok once I get the revs up to say 2000, but when pulling away or changing gear it's jerky.

Any ideas? Has the overheat broke something or do I just need to wait longer for it all to dry out?

Soldato
Sounds like it's a damp HT lead/cap/plug (or coil, depending on car) causing a misfire at low speeds. It may improve of it's own accord, or you might have to take it apart and wipe everything down.

What car is it?

Si.

Si.

Soldato
OP
It's a Ford Focus.

I was thinking the same myself, re-checked the engine bay earlier today and some of it is still soaking (I'm obviously not driving it until I can get a proper replacement hose on monday)

Will it dry out it's self? or do I need to start stripping things down.. It's not a new car (done 135,000 miles) so don't want to spend an cash on it if possible.

Soldato
Don't wait for it to dry out, dry it yourself!

If it continues perhaps consider getting a compression test, sounds like you caught it in time though.

Si.

Si.

Soldato
OP
Well, fitted the new hose last night and no leaks or anything, however it's still juddering/missing at times. I've checked the HT leads and they seem nice and dry. It seems to be ok on a nice flat steady road, but as the engine gets more under stress (accelerating, or going up hills) it gets worse.

I've not had the plugs out (don't have the tools for it) so not sur eif there is water there.

Any more ideas what the problem is? am I looking at a big bill?

Associate
...............split a radiator hose. I pulled over in a HUGE cloud of steam and coolant. I was stopped in a awkward spot fo rlet it cool a little then drove it a few hundred yards to where I could pull over (carefaully watching the temp gauge). ........

Just a note in case its not obvious, if you have lost a lot of water the temp sensor is usually in the thermostat housing, if you have no water it may well report its cool when the engine is actually hotter than the sun.

Soldato
I'd guess (and hope) at damp leads/coil pack.

But...
Just a note in case its not obvious, if you have lost a lot of water the temp sensor is usually in the thermostat housing, if you have no water it may well report its cool when the engine is actually hotter than the sun.

Quoted for truth.

Your temperature sensor is usually reading the temperature of your water.... so if you've got no water the temperature sensor will be reading cool rather than the real OMFG temperature that the engine is.

Si.

Si.

Soldato
OP
After some goggling I think the coil (as people have suggested) is the next thing to check. Being non mechanical, how easy are these to remove and check?

Associate
Hate to say it but it sounds like head gasket..... take the oil filler cap off and look inside it... if it looks like mayo youve got oil in the water... also ( when cold ) take a peek in the expansion tank for oil...... the acid test is to take it to a garage and get it compression tested ( takes 5 mins ) and if youve lost compression the heads got to come off...

Si.

Si.

Soldato
OP
Has the Oil cap off on Sunday, all was nice and clean, but not checked it since, will do that tonight.

I think off to the garage it will be to get it checked over.

Soldato
You'll want to try that little mix with Head gasket mayo. Way better than Hellman's. Maybe throw in some wallet tears after getting the bill for fixing it and you'd be onto a real winner.

Back
Top Bottom