My BMW 535d - a personal review

Caporegime
Awesome looking car. Love those alloys.

I hope to have a 5 series E60 in the future, as I happen to love the looks of them, especially in M Sport guise.

Soldato
I've read as far as the transmission but will have to read the rest later.

Great effort though! Best of a car (although shame it's a derv!).

Soldato
OP
Can't say I understand why anyone who isn't a motoring journo would spend however long typing so much about a car?
I started writing it about two weeks ago. Since then, when I've had a moment, I've added a few paragraphs and then put it aside again. Today I finished it off and tidied up the arrangement a little. Not as much work as you think!
This is the model I thought I would buy next before I fell for the charms of the B5.

Better update your sig now.
I'd love a B5, but it would cost an extra £7,000 in fuel alone over 3 years. I just couldn't justify spending out that much, and I only really got the 535d because it's a £0-1,000 per year upgrade over the 530i, and at that money the value proposition was too good to ignore.
Decent review to distract me from work for 5 mins :)

Didnt realise the Jaguar XF S has slightly more torque than this unit at 600Nm but with less power (273bhp - for now anyway ;)) . Same gearbox aswell.
The transmission is rated to 700 Nm, which is where a lot of the maps take the x35d engine, so there's plenty of headroom.

Btw, the current version of this engine in the F10 5 Series is 299 PS and 600 Nm ;)

Soldato
I read all of it, great write up :cool:.

Surprised your car doesn't have DAB or USB - heck even my Dad chose them on his E61 (4pot dag-dag though :(). Dealership were swines though and after ordering a however many thousand pound car charged us a few quid for the iPod cable!
Sunroof, Adaptive Xenons and Lane Departure are good options to have (not cheap either compared with DAB & USB!). Wish he chose a sunroof, the black headlining makes it pretty dark inside without :(.

Agree about the Postcode input being naff - caught me out on Sunday when mid-journey I went to set the nav and I didn't know the road name. Used the iPhone App & googlemaps send location to-car thing in the end.
Actually I'm surprised you didn't mention that - the google maps send to car is the single best feature I'd say!

Agree about the front spoiler/lip, had it crunched ontop of a curb in Exeter services at the weekend!

Soldato
OP
So what is yours doing now with the remap?
Measuring the actual power of one of these isn't particularly easy. You can 'lock' it to a specific gear for dyno purposes, but you still have the problem of using a torque converter on a diesel (which impacts the measurements during initial acceleration as the torque converter acts a torque multiplier) and the difficulty in performing a coast down to measure drivetrain losses to produce an 'at the fly' figure. You can measure drag on coast down in a manual quite easily, but with an automatic the resistances in the drivetrain change significantly when not under load, and so they read artificially low drivetrain losses.

The dyno used for the pre- and post-map measurements was a Dyno Dynamics dyno, as recently featured at the OcUK Surrey RR day, and those there will remember this does not measure coast down, but instead has a database of standard drivetrain loss correction factors that are applied. Therefore, the absolute numbers are affected by the accuracy and relevance of the correction factor.

Mine showed a 22.5% power and a 21% torque improvement over standard. Apply that to the standard figures and you have 350 HP and 700 Nm. Mine dyno'd at over 340 HP and 750 Nm, but that's subject to everything I've said above.
I'll have you in the twisties.
:D
Actually I'm surprised you didn't mention that - the google maps send to car is the single best feature I'd say!
That only works if you have BMW ConnectedDrive enabled. This is a chargeable annual subscription service that, in reality, I don't want to pay for. OllyM says you can get a free 6-month trial if you call them up and sound interested, so I may do that for the lulz.
Agree about the front spoiler/lip, had it crunched ontop of a curb in Exeter services at the weekend!
Glad I'm not the only one :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Good write up.

I noticed with my 530d the fuel used makes a huge difference to how the gearbox behaves. I found that with BP ultimate it changed gear a lot more but wasn't hesitant between choices whereas with Shell fuelsave sometimes it wouldn't make up its mind. Using V Power derv though the gearbox seems to stay in gear and get on with it rather than deciding to change down. To me it drives a lot nicer and seems to have more torque so doesn't want to change. I Under no illusion theres anymore power but it definitely changes the way the gearbox drives though.

DAB on the E60 is useless IMO anywhere but the motorway, mine switches to fm as soon as I'm in town or in my work multi-story. I don't think mine is bad either as it was the same before I had a new diversity antenna installed.

Man of Honour
Said it many many times, but there are few if any better all round cars on the planet than a 5 series and thought I think the F10 is a nice leap I still believe very little will touch the all round competence of a 5 series.

Soldato
OP
I noticed with my 530d the fuel used makes a huge difference to how the gearbox behaves.
This is relevant to my interests. I have tried a few fuels so far (though just because rather than intentionally) - Sainsbury's regular diesel, Esso regular diesel and BP Ultimate diesel. I am not driving a steady enough regime yet to know whether the Ultimate made any economy difference, and I haven't had the car long enough to notice any power change. It's new enough and quicker enough than the 530i that it always feels like it's pulling my face off. It feels happier on Esso than Sainsbury's, and that works for me as it's normally the same price. I may play around with different fuels a bit more and see if I can draw any conclusions, subjective or not.
DAB on the E60 is useless IMO anywhere but the motorway, mine switches to fm as soon as I'm in town or in my work multi-story. I don't think mine is bad either as it was the same before I had a new diversity antenna installed.
I spend the vast majority of my time on the motorway, hence why DAB would be useful for me. Fancy letting me have all the bits for a tenner? :p
Said it many many times, but there are few if any better all round cars on the planet than a 5 series and thought I think the F10 is a nice leap I still believe very little will touch the all round competence of a 5 series.
The F10 definitely feels like an upgrade on the E60 in all areas (with perhaps the exception of handling and suppleness unless you have the trick damper option). It's a thoroughly excellent car and, once again, the very definition of the class itself. Ever since I drove the 535i back in.. January 2010?.. I've thought it was brilliant. It'd be interesting to drive the 535d and see how it compares to the 535i and the E60 535d. I may use the E60 to blag a test drive in one somewhere.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Nice write up, thanks. Didn't like the looks of the E60 when first launched, but it really grew on me and I now rate it as a genuinely ground breaking design. The sport model reminds me of a stealth bomber, ace!

Back
Top Bottom