400d -> 5d Mk1

Soldato
Hi Guys,

Just a quick post , would it be worth for 400quid upgrading from a 400d to a 5d mk1 ?

Would I see a noticeable difference ?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Soldato
OP
For £400 I would consider it, but are your lenses ok?

Only got two, 20mm f/2.8 USM and an 18 - 135 (kit lens would be sold on with the 400d)

I use the 18 - 135 normally.

The 5D does not have the 'auto' modes you find.

Is the learning curve really steep ? I have been using the 400d for about 3 years now, and have got pretty good with it.

What are the main diffs in operation ?

Soldato
What about from a 450D?
Very good upgrade in what way?
Is the AF and ISO performance better? as that would be my main reason for upgrading (not upgrading anytime soon though).

Generally the advantages of full frame tend to be the reason for making the swap rather than factors such as those, which tend to come in when choosing between crop cameras, or between full frame cameras. The chief advantages being sharpness (at least at the sweet spot), ISO performance (compared to same age crop models) and narrow DOF.

Now the 5D is an old camera now, and the AF is pretty sluggish, but there's just something about the images from a full frame camera that crop's struggle to produce, even with great lenses

Associate
You can take amazing pics with humble camera bodys and good glass, invest your cash in glass and when you KNOW why your camera body is letting you down, upgrade.

Good lenses hold their value, cameras don't,

Need higher frames per second, better iso performance, fine, but if you aint, buy good lenses.

Soldato
You can take amazing pics with humble camera bodys and good glass, invest your cash in glass and when you KNOW why your camera body is letting you down, upgrade.

Need higher frames per second, better iso performance, fine, but if you aint, buy good lenses.

That logic only applies within the crop market to be fair. Full frame's larger pixels give sharper (at least at the centre) images with narrower DOF. The IQ isn't generally changed /much/ from consumer crops to pro crop bodies, but going up to full frame there is a big difference.

Good lenses might hold their value, but if he forsees going to a 5D MkII then best to start building up a lens collection with a 5D MkI rather than crop lenses which you then have to sell.

Soldato

The above ........

I have both, 400D and 5D Mk1, and use both.... for example spent the week out with my g/f family and their kids, showing them parts of the UK. So I wanted to travel light and easy so used the 400D with recently acquired Sigma 17-85. I have to say it did a great job of getting some shoots, also used it with my 70-300IS at the zoo....
I nearly always shoot with aperture priority, a throw back to my early days with film SLR's before multi modes came out !

Lenses take super sharp shoots, and photographers take great pictures, not cameras !!!
So unless the 400D is failing you in some way invest in glass.

What doesn't it do that's causing you to lose some shots ?

Back
Top Bottom