Spider identification halps

Soldato
Excuse the crap images. What the fudge is this horrible looking thing?.

20110213v31of1.jpg

20110213v31of12.jpg

20110213v31of14.jpg

20110213v31of15.jpg

It's about 7mm from head to tail, and so far I've found 3 of similar size in the bedroom/bathroom.. It's totally shiny, piano black, weird markings.. Do I need to move house?. Normally I'm not fussed about spiders, but something about these ones causes me to sense danger.

Associate
What you have there is a BASS (Big Arsed Scary Spider) it can be utterly deadly (to some people, you know who you are.) but harmless to others.
If you have seen a few then they have most likely hatched from a nest somewhere, there could be hundreds!
Seriously though, I wouldn't worry too much about it as very few, if any British spiders are considered dangerous. If you really wanna know, take a specimen along to your local museum curator or zoo n ask.

P.S. You have bought any bananas or exotic fruit lately, have you?

Associate
I think that may be a false widow spider. Not native to the UK but numbers have increased due to the warmer summers. Mildly venomous with some people being admitted to hospital due to bad reactions to its bite.

Kill it with fire

You'd be correct sir.

What's the likelihood of being bitten by a false widow spider? Extremely low.

No one has ever died of a spider bite in the UK and the number of reported bites from spiders in general is minimal. The Natural History Museum's Insect Information Service (IIS) hears of about 10 cases of spider bites each year in the UK.
Source: http://www.nhm.ac.uk/about-us/news/2007/may/news_11767.html

Last edited:
Associate
Looks like a 'False Widow' to me too, we get a fair few in our conservatory from late spring to winter. They usually only come out after sunset and can grow quite big!

Back
Top Bottom