Samsung leaving hard drive business

Soldato
lol at your maths... you do know that percentage is out of 100 for a reason right :p

when comparing, it is very common to assume that the base is 100% and so the increase in this case is 38x -> 3800%

that maths is perfectly acceptable :)

another example is like the increase in minimum wage by 15p, the new wage will be £6.08, the current one is £5.93

if we take £5.93 as 100%, the new wage is 102.5% = £6.08 :)

Last edited:
Soldato
That's a bugger. I only ever buy Samsung or WD.

Leaves me with a choice of one.

Lol ....I just ordered a F3 HD today for a new build,looking at my track record I had Maxtor HD we know what happened to them,oh and Epox motherboard again we know what happened to them,well at least I'm consistent ;).

Anyway on the positive side they are all still in good working order.

Soldato
when comparing, it is very common to assume that the base is 100% and so the increase in this case is 38x -> 3800%

another example is like the increase in minimum wage by 15p, the new wage will be £6.08, the current one is £5.93

If the price needs to be 38x lower then it needs to drop by 97.4%. The way you put it is stoopid.

Permabanned
Having owned two each of the 500 Gb T166, 1 Tb F1, F3, and 2 Tb F4 drives, I am gutted :(

I always had HDDs in twos for data protection reasons, then I wanted some F3 Raid 0 goodness so added in some F4s for backups.

WD would be my second choice, but they cost too much.

Last edited:
Soldato

Come on mate your not fooling anyone...he said 'unless you think SSDs are going to drop 3800%'. Is that maths perfectly acceptable?

You can't drop a price more than 100%.

Associate
Just been buying F3s recently. Bought two for my brother's build.

Wondering if I should be buying a bunch more Samsungs or switch...

(all my WDs have failed me so I definitely won't switch to them)

Caporegime
Never risked samsung drives. not a fan of the company produce

Always had seagate and wd..but dont wasn't to be heading towards monopoly

Associate
I recently bought two Samsung drives and haven't had a problem, but they are new.. and i'm suprised to hear they are getting assimilated. I've always been wary of companies that have so many products, like Samsung, just seems funny however I heard good things about the drives.

Associate
It doesn't matter, its obvious what he means (SSD's being 3800% the £ per TB that HDD's are), no need for the grammar/correctness police here >.>

Well said - if we wanted a maths class, we'd all be heading back to school!

The plain and simple truth is, that SSD's are currently too expensive for what they offer. Another hard drive vendor leaving the business is not good news, especially considering that if Samsung would have progressed to SSD tech, then they would no doubt have been equally popular based on price/performance, as they currently are with conventional hard drives.

I have 5 x 1TB F1's in a Qnap 509 & they have never missed a beat.

Associate
HDDs have a good decade more, unless you think SSDs are going to drop 3800%* in the next 2-3 years, or everyone plans to abandon their local storage for cloud services.

* 2TB of SSDs @ ~£2500 vs 2TB HDD @ ~£65

Actually that would only be a 97.4% drop. A 100% drop would make them free.

Associate
Noooo! I have about 20Tb of samsung HDDs which have been a bargain for speed silence and quality!

Seagate have always been too noisey for me.

Back
Top Bottom