Asus rampage III Extreme

Associate
,,,, they do what they say on the box, and with the full 24 Gb installed my PC is booting up extremely fast, much more noticable than it was going from using my OS on a HDD to a SSD!

So do I want to keep 24 Gb @ 1600 Mhz 9-9-9-24, or 12 Gb @ 1600 Mhz 6-7-6-18?

If it's me. i'll keep the 24GB and do a 4 GB DataRam or Ram Disk and the rest for virtual drive for running and testing some stuff.:)

Permabanned
If it's me. i'll keep the 24GB and do a 4 GB DataRam or Ram Disk and the rest for virtual drive for running and testing some stuff.:)

Thats what I want to do actually, I want to make a large ramdisk.

I also want to record and work with audio when I can get around to bothering with doing that.

The difference between 1600 Mhz at Cas 6 or cas 9 is completely unnoticeable over triple channel anyway, and theres gotta be some people out there that will want to pay a decent amount for some good Elipda BBSEs. The Geil ram was no use to me because it wouldnt overclock to even 2000 Mhz in my system.

I'll see how much I can get for the Geil elipda sets, if I can get £50 per pair I'll sell them.

I would keep the faster set. 12Gbs is more than enough.

Matt

You can never have enough Ram :p

OMG .... WOW, I just noticed that the ram I got is covered in PLASTIC headspreaders when opening the case to take pictures and wondering why they looked so tacky, and they were actually really warm when simply running at 1600 Mhz and Cas 9!!!!!

Oh well, RMA time and returning to the Geils! Corsairs website advertises them as having Aluminium heatspreaders, but they are covered in large blocks of plastic and are becoming heavily insulated with 6 modules. Good thing I noticed that.

I am so not happy about that, and I already made a for sale thread for my Geil ram :x

Seriously, plastic 'heatspreaders'?

Last edited:
Associate
I agree with you. I bought 6Gb of 1600 Vengeance Cas 8 to get me over my Dominator GT RMA. It works but the heat spreaders don't contact the ICs on one side and when you push them into the slots the heat spreaders move around. Cheap and nasty but it works.

Corsair have gone down in my mind releasing a product as cheaply manufactured as this.

Permabanned
Turns out that they are aluminium but with a tacky coating of some kind, but they are very horribly fit onto the modules. I dont know if I can RMA them but dont mind as long as they work.

I think I'll just keep them. I did notice them wobble around a lot when installing, and also the tabs in the middle with corsair written on them are very easily pressed and dented (they are just flimsy weak stickers).

My previous modules were better quality, but I can only run 1600 Mhz on my mobo / CPU so they were a waste of good modules.

The old modules seem pretty unsellable atm with G Skills 4 Gb 2133 Mhz pack available for £50, so I'll probably have to hang onto them until theres a price hike on ram again (ram prices are always fluctuating, buy low, sell high :p).

Permabanned
Ok, I inspected the modules closer up, and I realized exactly what the initial problems were. The heatspreaders are Aluminium, at least the parts over the memory modules, and they are snugly secured down with a strip of adhesive tape to the ram modules.

But the giant fins that come up over the top of the modues are flimsy and bendy, and feel like they are at least covered in something like plastic. Since those are the parts you grip the modules by, it makes them look like the whole heatspreader is like that.

dsc00831xb.jpg

dsc00835u.jpg

dsc00837m.jpg

dsc00851if.jpg

All is fine, except that neither kit will do Cas 8, but they manage 9-8-8-15-90-1T which is great for 4 Gb modules, and I notice more improvement to loading times, whereas tighter timings only improve benchmarks.

Its nice to have some decent triple channel sets as opposed to needing dual channels. I noticed that most of the dual channel 8 Gb kits are only rated for 2N, and they would be far less compatible with 3 kits on an X58 board than 2 triple channel kits are. Theres no point in only using one kit of this stuff too, as it doesnt fare any better than with two installed.

Man of Honour
Cheers for the heads up. Just gone to 1208 and not noticed one iota of difference (expected). Good to see they havn't forgotten about their flagship board though :)

Associate
Having fun and games with 1301. There is a new setting "memory recheck" in extreme tweaker settings. I'm back to 1208.
Having problems with the new BIOS? Any idea this new setting does? Seen some mention of vague problems on other forums with this BIOS so a bit reluctant to update right now, especially given 1208 seems to be very stable.

Associate
I have 2 R3Es 1 in the build I'm typing on working perfectly.
The other I bent the cpu socket pins as I was doing the build first time round.
Now it's just sat in a corner like new boxed up with full accesories but with bent pins.
Anyone know if/where it can be repaired - paid or otherwise.
Tried ringing ASUS they gave me the email adress of Creative Computing - based in Glasgow, if memory serves.
However, they said they only deal with warrany repairs and this wouldn't be covered under warranty.
Then I left it at that, but time to get rid one way or the other.
Sell on bay as damaged - or find someone to repair then sell as working?

Cheers

Man of Honour
Having problems with the new BIOS? Any idea this new setting does? Seen some mention of vague problems on other forums with this BIOS so a bit reluctant to update right now, especially given 1208 seems to be very stable.

It is now official and the change is "Add Memory Recheck feature". This looks like a memory error message bypass on boot.

Anyway, saved profiles don’t work with 1301 so you will have to re-enter again. 1208 is stable for me and I’m leaving it at that.

Permabanned
Is running at super low voltages on my CPU / QPI / Ram damaging to my CPU? I heard that it might be on another forum:

129v.png

The CPU has to be undervolted for hot weather :(

Soldato
Its not their flagship board anymore though, the Black Edition is :p

And what a pain this Board is (black edition) from CPU fan errors,

to hard drives dropping out and most currently the nice NIC card that makes CRYSIS 2 stutter to hell when you have the Ethernet connected to it,

This my second day trying to get it to be stable :confused:

Back
Top Bottom