Doctor Who

Man of Honour
Question is...given that both Amy and Riversong said during the episode that they felt "sick" and both held their stomachs (both after an encounter with the aliens)... are both of them pregnant? Are the pregnancies something to do with the aliens rather than rory.

Associate
I thought it was excellent :)

Speaking as someone who was unable to watch the first few series thanks to Russell t ds attention deficit disorder style of cringe worth television. Moffat is an absolute legend. This feels much more like proper sci fi than embarrassing low budget hammy acting bbc productions.

Yeah, especially the bit when river shoots the hat off Dr Who's head. Not cringe worthy at all. :confused:

Associate
What I want to know is that last night the Tardis had a new trick up its sleeve - a Cloaking Device. Why hasn't the Doctor used it before - Could've saved him a whole lot of trouble TBH. :p

Did you not notice the Doctor couldn't in fact work it, and river had to set it correctly? He also explained he hardly uses it as it is a huge drain on power.

Man of Honour
I'm not sure she is preggers.

Alien makes her feel sick. Feeling sick makes her think she's pregnant.

If thats how she thinks then she needs to be dropped into the nearest supernova even more. Christ if my missus thought she was pregnant every time she felt sick we'd be rushing to the hospital every month :D

Soldato
Yeah, especially the bit when river shoots the hat off Dr Who's head. Not cringe worthy at all. :confused:

What, how is that cringe worthy? Its ok for edgy westerns but too cliche for british sci fi? Im talking cringy like RST's habit of arcing story lines 'ITS THE END OF TIME ITSELF, but oh wait if i press this button over here everything gets fixed lolercopters'. The 'arachnos queen' was the epitome of RST cringe worthiness with the dodgy hydraulic rig and excessively salivating cackling.

Shooting somebody's hat off is just cool and you know it :p

Soldato
good episode see what happens next week if i remember it's on and not watch it on iplayer

thou there is 1 thing. Can't the beeb put a bit more into the CGI budget? or am i just spoilt watching Heroes where the CGI was not as noticable

Soldato
good episode see what happens next week if i remember it's on and not watch it on iplayer

thou there is 1 thing. Can't the beeb put a bit more into the CGI budget? or am i just spoilt watching Heroes where the CGI was not as noticable

I like it, it may not be completely realistic but it's not bad in any way. It's arty, and for me that doesn't detract from the experience.

There's two approaches to CGI, there's the lifelike approach, which as you said only works with a massive budget otherwise it looks horrible, and there's the... other one :p

Soldato
BBC will never be able to match the budget of the big shows in the USA.

I truly dislike this sentiment of thinking because it implise BBC productions exist in their own sub market, completely seperate from the rest of the world. Doctor Who is a big money spinner, what with DVD/BluRay sales, selling rights internationally and all the franchise stuff. Saying that they cant match the big budgets of USA shows is massively underestimating the market it sits in.

That they dont have much money to spend on the show (And what they do have is still a considerable amount) is by virtue of missmanagment by the BBC holding on to decaying and obselete operating principles. The money is there, the bbc are just too stuck in their ways to tap it.

Last edited:
Associate
I like it, it may not be completely realistic but it's not bad in any way. It's arty, and for me that doesn't detract from the experience.

There's two approaches to CGI, there's the lifelike approach, which as you said only works with a massive budget otherwise it looks horrible, and there's the... other one :p

Thats the trouble with the uncanny valley. Shows either go in the realistic direction, or the overly stylised direction. The thing is, doctor who is definitely more suited for the latter.

Stylish is often easier, especially if you have lots of creepy alien monsters like in doctor who. Stylish means toys are easier to produce, which i imagine is a massive money earner.

I still think that the BBC and British tv in general, needs to get with the times. They tried it with Outcasts, and great for trying, but it turned out to be awful. I really do hope someone comes along somtime in the near future and spearheads a decent piece of modern and intelligent uk sci fi that isn't doctor who. it doesn't have to be BSG pretty, look at the likes of Warehouse 13 in the US, that doesn't have a massive budget, but it's been one of the best reated shows in recent years on SyFy.

Last edited:
Soldato
River song and Amy Pond and 2 of the most annoying characters ever!
I loved Amy in the first series but this episode I found myself really disliking her! River is just an annoying bint that i cant seem to like no matter how much I want to.
Rory is a legend and i feel sorry for the fact he is portrayed as "the idiot" when he has done so much for the story especially the last 2 episodes of the last series.

Smiths' doctor has so much potential but I feel it was dragged down by Pond screaming and Song crying.

I want to see more Kick ass Doctor as pointed above the first episode of last series with his speech was really great!

Still I have high hopes the 2nd episode will restore some faith as the trailer looked great with all the markings and what not.

Associate
Rory is a legend and i feel sorry for the fact he is portrayed as "the idiot" when he has done so much for the story especially the last 2 episodes of the last series.

See it's writing like that which really annoys me. The character has done some pretty selfless things. In the last series he took a ray gun blast intended for the doctor, and was erased from time. Then of course theres the last two episodes where his auton copy spent 2000 years guarding Amy in the Pandorica.

it's pretty inconsistent. It's like 'yeah we know you've done some pretty heroic things but, you're still and always will be the village idiot and that's never going to change!'.

It's similar to how Mickey was handled during the Eccleston/Tennant era.

The best characters are those that grow and change along the way, not those that stagnate as a cliche stereotypes.

Last edited:
Soldato

983156411.jpg

426349323.jpg

Associate
River song and Amy Pond and 2 of the most annoying characters ever!
I loved Amy in the first series but this episode I found myself really disliking her! River is just an annoying bint that i cant seem to like no matter how much I want to.

Smiths' doctor has so much potential but I feel it was dragged down by Pond screaming and Song crying.

I want to see more Kick ass Doctor as pointed above the first episode of last series with his speech was really great!

Still I have high hopes the 2nd episode will restore some faith as the trailer looked great with all the markings and what not.

+1

Pond and Song really annoy me, but I think Smith as the doctor has the potential to be as good or better than Tennants doctor.

XPE

XPE

Soldato
+1

Pond and Song really annoy me, but I think Smith as the doctor has the potential to be as good or better than Tennants doctor.

Not a chance, The good thing about tennant was he could turn menacing very quickly, smith when ever he’s done it or threatened some one I just don’t believe he would follow through with it.

That said i do like smith in the role.

Back
Top Bottom