Ever looked up?

Soldato
The stars are rather wonderful to look at.

Shame I'm currently living in an urban area, so I'm fortunate if I can see more than a couple at all; stars a definitely something I miss seeing.

Associate
Ok so I have been drinking but wow, the clear night sky is amazing.

I've been luckey enough to spend the easter weekend at my uncle's farm house outside Omagh. From here the lights of the cities are dim enough to see the stars properly, and what a show! All the dramas unfolding in peoples lives right now... underneith this amazing backdrop. How insignificant are we all, yet in our own bubbles we are everything.

Take a moment to look up

Cool story bro etc

Omagh is an utter hole but yes I appreciate moments like the one you've just had. Unfortunately no time for them right now, work work work!

Associate
The night sky is an amazing thing. It's probably one of the things i miss the most from when i used to live down south in Plymouth.

Sounds alittle creepy, but i really used to love going up onto Dartmoor in the early hours of the morning (1-3am) and just parking up. If it was a night nearing or on a new moon it used to be so dark you could fairly easily see the milky way, let alone the incredible amount of stars. Plus there was nothing for miles, i could sit there for an hour and not even a single car would drive drive. Great place for some 'thinking time' for sure.

Soldato
Noticed this sat/lying on a beach when I was on holiday last year (Croatia) we were staying in a campsite on one of the islands, pretty much uninhabited otherwise, and could see the milky way quite clearly, pretty awe-inspiring!

Soldato
Shicky's sig wins thread ;)

Za4Bk.jpg

Permabanned
Can't look up for long at the moment 'cos i've cricked my neck:( too much cloud cover for stargazing tonight here anyway, but when it's clear I'll sit out and stargaze reguarly, i'm not very well read on the constellations but it's a subject I'd like learn more about.

Man of Honour
When I went to Egypt last year, we had a day trip out in the desert with a group of people who lived out there. We sat by a fire under the night sky. Was truly an amazing experience, had never seen the sky like that before

Man of Honour
Nothing beats it. It’s such a shame that light pollution removes so much of what can be seen. I envy those that live away from town and city lights.

Soldato
I am very rarely able to get out to a dark site. There are a few places around the south downs where it is improved, but i have never really got away from light pollution, sadly.
Best i can see from my garden are the open clusters, planets and a few nebula really.

I always plan to go to a dark site, but i'm currently without a car, so it makes it difficult.

btw, you can get a very nice telescope for around £110 now, wich will blow your mind:)

Soldato
We in the last 100 years are the first peoples to really become disconnected with the stars (in a gazing sense). I find it fascinating to think that every human who has ever lived, has looked up and seen the same sky facing back down as we do now. I'm yet to see the stars from a 'middle of nowhere' point of view. It's something that we all miss out on as well. There must be people who have lived their entire lives unaware of the majesty above (around) them... Bloody light pollution :/

Back
Top Bottom