Who DOESN'T Use Facebook? (privacy concerns)

Soldato
Just set security settings and hide/delete people who annoy you. You can set who sees photos etc. It really isn't hard or time consuming to go through the settings.

Not exactly hard, or a need to study it is there:
imagewgu.jpg

imagecma.jpg

I've used it for over a year now and only found that page a few months ago.

And whenever they update/alter things they tend to "opt in" on your settings, i think one of the recent changes let 3rd party web sites see YOUR personal info if your FRIEND used the 3rd party site ...

Man of Honour
I've used it for over a year now and only found that page a few months ago.

How? one's in account settings the other is simply in privacy settings. They don't change your settings, when they create new stuff it is often opted in or medium settings.

As for the other thing your on about

Account settings > Facebook adverts > select: no one

Last edited:
Soldato
I can't be bothered pretending I want to stay in touch with people I don't call, or see regularly and I am fortunate enough not to have any close family or friends who live abroad. In short i don't use it because I care. :)

You're not alone OP. I had a Facebook page for 3 years 2007-10. I was never that fond of it in the first place, then about a year ago, something happened which I considered to be stepping over the line: In last year's endless jobhunt, one of my applications came back to me. Not as a phone call, not as a letter, not as an email. Nope. What did the potential employer go and do? They found my Facebook page and sent me a buddy request. I mean, what have private family photos got to do with them? If the employer wanted to connect with me, they should have used LinkedIn as that's the networking site for professionals. So yeah, out of sheer rage, I got rid of my account.

Associate
Don't use it. 90% willy waving with who can get the most strangers as 'friends' and the rest is silly sitreps on every aspect of people's lives. I know people who after a night out, the first thing they do is go on Facebook and fill out a full report.
I just think the whole thing is a bit sad in a sheeplike way.

Man of Honour
I signed up for Facebook about 4 years ago when a very good friend sent an invite via it for his wedding. Not used it since. Can't see the point.

Soldato
To be perfectly honest, Facebook, as it is, is completely fine. If you want to go over loads of other people's pictures commenting "OMG, I'd hit that!" etc. then you shouldn't be surprised when your wife sees it or some other ****.

Nothing there is ever ENTIRELY private. If you aren't mindful of that, then you deserve whatever you get.

For me, it's mainly used for self-promotion and random in-jokes and other inane crap with friends. Problem there? I think not.

Soldato
I personally have FB because its useful for keeping in touch with people I would have otherwise lost contact with.

I think this is the reason why 90% of people (Including myself) have a Facebook account.

As covered before - it's easy to change the privacy settings to suit your needs. Also easy enough for John Doe and Jane Doe to comprehend, not so? :)

Back
Top Bottom