First car guide

Associate
Well im 18, and i am going to buy a new car and share it with my father, i have around 3000 to spend on the car and insurance.
Just thinking what would be a good car to get, obviously nothing to over the top as my dad will have to drive and is in his 40s. Was thinking something nice a small such as a clio? or maybe a fiesta. But these are the normal car for someone of my age wanted to be a little different.
Any suggestions thanks :D

Associate
OP
Corolla if you want something bigger? The recommendations normally given here are Focus, Mondeo. Not really a Corsa fan.

Infact dad did use to have a Corolla and he loved it until it broke, and it did not get it fixed, he was going to sell it to me, but i didn't really fancy repairing it, as it was a big costly fix.
But a lovely car none the less

Associate
OP
If you are looking for something a bit different how about a classic? Cheap to insure and great fun.

How about this for example for £1600

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C223279

1.3 litre engine, no tax, small but will fit 4 people and looks really cool imo. Have a look round that site as there are some bargins on there :)

Is a nice car, do like but im not sure my dad would approve haha,
And i did say a little different just dont want like a fiesta,corsa,clio etc as you see too many of these around.

Soldato
My Focus was great as a first car, spacious and comfortable and far better than any of the small 106s, Clios and Saxos my friends were driving. Skoda Fabia was another one I considered, sure the brand image isn't hip for a youngster but you get a lot of a car for the money.

Associate
A nissan bluebird. Cheap and a solid engine. :)

A friend had one as his first car and it got horribly ragged about. Scratched and dinted and the car took everything he did to it.

He had 2. His first was a 2.0 uk spec 1989 and his second was a 1986 1.8 jap import with a sticker on the boot(honk if parts fall off) haha.

Last edited:
Soldato
Focus imho too, cheap to fix and common as hell, and not looking too old.

My advise is to spend as little as possible, save up for a nicer more expensive car for your 2nd car. 1k tops.

Associate
My first car was a clio..definitely not recommend one if u can help it! Focus is an excellent car..u can pick up 04 and 05 plates for around 3k, my old one would have been around 2.5k with 05 plate and 78k on the clock but still feels pretty solid n reliable..never had to did anything major and as guys have said, cheap to fix! I also got a 3 door to maintain a little sportiness as im young also n got rear tints

Soldato
Focus does seem a good idea, What size engine do people recommend as its my first car

I had a Focus 1.6 Zetec as my first car at 18. Was quick enough and only cost me 2 front tyres in the year I owned it in maintenance (plus a service and a MOT). The cambelt needs replacing at 100k miles.

Associate
because its our first car, dont buy something that will make you cry if you scrape or bump into things :p. i remember i just passed my test (i had a rover 214, the 1994 model) and i reversed it in my friends drive to use his hose to wash it. i hit his drain pipe and reversed into his garage door. not my finest moment >.<
(no damage luckily his mother saw the funny side)

Man of Honour
Classic golf?

Being a biased here as I own one, but it was the cheapest car I found to insure by a country mile, although that wasn't a factor in car choice.

You should be able to pick up a 1.3 or 1.6 fo
r around £750 in good nick, and pay around £1500 or less on insurance depending on post code.

They're simple, well built and reliable. Mine was sat in unstarted for 2 years and ran like a dream with just a new battery. An example on build quality would be the fact that most 15 year old fiestas etc have more rust than my 22 year old car.

Back
Top Bottom