Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Soldato
Depends on your wireless adapter :p

Mine's an Atheros AR2427 in an Asus Eee PC 1001PX and the moment I add my (WPA2) wireless network Ubuntu just freezes. The only way to fix it is to disable wireless using the hardware key during boot and then delete the network from the list.

It's just a totally depressing view of the end result of Open Source really.

15/03/11: The bug was introduced, remember it worked previously, in kernel 2.6.38 (or possibly earlier, but I'm guessing then)

21/03/11: A guy actually from Atheros saw the problem...

28/03/11: ...and a fix was created

14/04/11: Kernel 2.6.38.3 was released fixing the problem

28/04/11: Ubuntu is still on kernel 2.6.38.2

XX/XX/11: Ubuntu actually releases a kernel using 2.6.38.3+

You can't expect them to move to a new kernel a month from GA. It'll be along soon enough in an update. For now you can just install that kernel manually?

Also; my netbook on 11.04 is using 2.6.38-8...

Associate
OP
You can't expect them to move to a new kernel a month from GA. It'll be along soon enough in an update.

That's my point. There are just an insane amount of steps needed (and a stupid amount of time) to fix what is basically a minor driver issue that causes a HUGE problem.

For now you can just install that kernel manually?

I think the point of Ubuntu is that I shouldn't have to. It should just work.

Also; my netbook on 11.04 is using 2.6.38-8...

Ubuntu name their modified kernels differently. The one in the 11.04 release is based off 2.6.38.2.

I think you're trying to rationalise a huge issue. Not so much for me but for many people who were using Ubuntu as their primary OS. Once they reinstalled/upgraded to 11.04 their ENTIRE system (remember, this bug causes the entire system to freeze) was taken out by a problem that's been technically fixed for over a month. I doubt you'd be happy if it happened to you ;) And since this bug broke something that was previously working perfectly the chances of it happening are more than they should be. I'm sure you'll enjoying waiting well over a month for a fix...

Last edited:
Associate
I can see both sides to this issue.. for canonical it can be risky to make late notice changes to the kernel so close to release. Doing so could introduce further unknown bugs. At least this is a documented and understood problem that should be fixed very shortly. Its also a bit unfair to blame ubuntu as this is not a problem of their making.

In general I like that people are innovating with regard to the user interface. Unity isnt perfect but I've been playing with it since the alpha builds and ive found it pretty good so far.

I may not be so sympathetic if my network broke though!

FYI - everything working very smoothly on my machine.

Soldato
I do think you're making a mountain out of a molehill here. Bit of background, my day job is testing software, I understand the SDLC and how it is completely unsuitable for almost any business, mostly because the waterfall model is very slow, like 18 months between releases, minimum. I also understand the agile model, though I don't know specifically how Canonical test.

Anyway; they're never going to slap a kernel in that late unless it's desperately needed for a lot of systems, then they will consider slipping GA. And on something as big as a GNU/Linux distro there will always be regressions in the field (like yours).

To expect them to nail every system config is unreasonable, although a system lockup is a very high CIE so there is probably a stress related failure in more than the broken code (underlying architecture wasn't robust), but this is Linux so you shouldn't have been expecting that. I would never get on a plane running Linux, but I use it on my office PC & all my laptops.

To expect something you get for free to just work for everyone is mad, things that cost a lot of money can't achieve that. I'd be interested to see how Canonical support would handle this...

Associate
I think unity is excellent. I didn't like it at the start but after a few days of use I've become fond of it; it has a lot of potential. Although it still has a few bugs and tweaks that are needed. The UI is really nice, how can you not like this:

elGu0l.jpg

Fbwazl.jpg

Concerning drivers I've never had a problem with ubuntu but it maybe because all my computers have intel chipsets and wireless etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm in two minds about Unity. On the one hand it's very intuitive and works really nicely. I would adopt it full time if it weren't for two little issues I have with it.

Firstly, you can't remove some of the icons! This has been driving me insane! I have a 600px tall screen (netbook) and most of the dock/taskbar thing is taken up by these locked in icons that I never use.

Secondly, you can't resize the icons. They're massive! On a desktop this would be fine, but on my netbook they're simply too big for my liking.

Unfortunately it seems to me that Ubuntu is going they way of many OSs: Locking the interface down so you can't get it exactly how you want it. Even W7 offers me more options than Unity.

A great interface, but compromised if you ask me.

Associate
I don't believe unity is locked down to stop you from customising it.. its simply that the tools to customise it havent been created\released yet. This will come over the next few months im sure.

Personallty the thing that I miss the most is the applets that I used to have on the top panel. There doesnt seem to a replacement for these.

Associate
OP
I do think you're making a mountain out of a molehill here.

Probably :p But - lets say there's a new version of Windows going RTM next week - it's like there being a problem specifically in Windows (which a driver update wouldn't fix ;) ) that causes the system to freeze with an Nvidia GeForce GTX 590 in it. That card is so expensive and an INCREDIBLY tiny amount of Windows users have it they figure they'd just release the OS anyway and deal with it later. That doesn't really fly does it...

Anyway; they're never going to slap a kernel in that late unless it's desperately needed for a lot of systems, then they will consider slipping GA. And on something as big as a GNU/Linux distro there will always be regressions in the field (like yours).

To expect them to nail every system config is unreasonable, although a system lockup is a very high CIE so there is probably a stress related failure in more than the broken code (underlying architecture wasn't robust), but this is Linux so you shouldn't have been expecting that. I would never get on a plane running Linux, but I use it on my office PC & all my laptops.

Oh I get they'd never really put the release date back. But it's a bit stupid putting out an OS which will break some of your current users entire system. They know the bug is in there and what it does. All it would need is some warning in Update Manager/On the download page prior to serving up the download.

To expect something you get for free to just work for everyone is mad, things that cost a lot of money can't achieve that. I'd be interested to see how Canonical support would handle this...

Just a bit of background on my personal views to set up the next bit: I have never thought "Linux" on the desktop would get any sort of market share. Ever. The sheer amount of fragmentation around the GUI is the major fault. One distro being able to have multiple GUIs, multiple distros having the same GUI. Most users care what the system looks like and associates exactly how it operates to how it initially looks. Windows looks like Windows. Mac OS X looks like Mac OS X. Linux looks like...well...anything.

Now, I'm not saying something based on the Linux kernel can't gain on the desktop. But it simply, for most people, won't be "Linux". Android is Android (or, OK, Android with HTC Sense UI for example). It is a singular thing, from a singular company, that operates the same. Such can be said about HTC Sense UI - buy an HTC Android phone and it operates like that! Heck my FreeSat box runs on Linux. Does anyone really care? No.

Ubuntu is now the first desktop OS, based on Linux, that has defined itself with the GUI. That screenshot zinc posted is a screenshot of Ubuntu that can only be Ubuntu.

Anyway, Ubuntu is being squarely aimed at Windows and Mac OS X. And it isn't really "free". The amount of man-hours put into every package in that system would be massive. And the amount of people Canonical employ plus Mark Shuttleworth's millions of little contributions negate the argument that it being free should mean I expect less. Especially with such PR on the Ubuntu homepage as "Ubuntu is a fast, secure and easy-to-use operating system used by millions of people around the world." & "Compatible with all your devices Ubuntu works brilliantly with a range of devices. No installation CDs. No fuss.".

At the end of the day, with what has happened, they've lost me as potentially becoming a user. I just can't have an OS to which a new version renders my system useless without warning. Obviously the incentive to update is incredibly high with new versions of applications being tied into that update. Which is a shame since I genuinely liked Unity. It was horrid in the 10.10 netbook edition but they really made it usable for any sort of computer.

Looks like I'm sticking with Windows. Or dare I even let the thought enter my head - re-enter the ignorant Apple reality distortion field :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom