Thoughts on iMac refresh rumors? Planning to purchase?

Associate
As expected, there's been an absolute surge of rumors regarding the imminent iMac 2011 Sandy Bridge refresh, suggestions are that it will be tomorrow. I checked out the MacRumors Forum earlier and it's a madhouse over there!

So what are your thoughts on this refresh? Planning on making a purchase?

I must admit I'm rather intrigued... I have the 2011 MBP 15" 2.3GHz, but haven't been that impressed by it. I was planning to build a PC but I may just hold out and see what upgrades Apple decide to let loose...if it involves a better GPU (and of course the inevitable SB CPU) then I may be tempted...

Soldato
I'd like something bigger than a mac mini, smaller than a mac pro and without a monitor, already have one.

Something along the lines of the old G4 cube form factor would suit me perfectly!

Permabanned
These rumours popped up on my twitter feed the other day. I'm still on an iMac with 9400m graphics. I'm definitely considering upgrading.

Soldato
If it turns out to be nothing more than a speed bump e.g. SB CPU different graphics and Thunderbolt then I'll be pretty disappointed as the other rumours that have been circulating for a long time now are that a different screen size will also be announced.

However, it has also been rumoured that Apple are experimenting with a whole new concept for 2012 surrounding an iMac that has a much smaller overall footprint than present, so the 2011 refresh may only be a speed bump this time around.

Personally I would like to see a reworked and upgraded Mac Mini which everyone is also hoping for.

Soldato
Well as expected the iMac's have been refreshed and as suspected nothing more than a speed bump - very disappointed that this is the best Apple could come up with. No matte screen option, no intermediate new panel size, no re-design. Just the same as the MBP range - nothing new to offer except speed bump, has Apple run out of ideas?

Associate
It's quite cool how the new 27" can drive 2 extra monitors. A little thing, but it's nice you can swap out the mouse for a trackpad now too.

Soldato
Well as expected the iMac's have been refreshed and as suspected nothing more than a speed bump - very disappointed that this is the best Apple could come up with. No matte screen option, no intermediate new panel size, no re-design. Just the same as the MBP range - nothing new to offer except speed bump, has Apple run out of ideas?
Is it lack of ideas or being happy with how it is? The PowerMac G5 (now Mac Pro) design has been the same for eons and it's still kick-ass.

Soldato

So apart from the matte screen and lack of a 24", what else do you want?

It does what it was designed to do.

It can't get any smaller. It can't get any thinner.

What do you really think Apple could do to it!?

Same applies for the Mac Pro, people want it re-designed, why!?

It's a tool not a fashion statement. The case does what it was designed to do. Cool in the best possible fashion.

A year or two ago I'd thought they would make give it 8 3.5" bays, but now with TB and SSDs about that won't happen either.

Personally I love the way the Apple desktops look, nothing comes close to them.

Associate
I'm pleased with the update. The graphics are about the best i could have hoped for in an iMac so I'm going to take the plunge in a month or two.

Soldato
My my my the iMac has/is certainly improved/improving over time, some may say slower timeframe to when newer tech is released but a 27" 3.4GHz i7 Quad - 8GB DDR3 - 2GB ATI 6970 - 2TB + SSD = wet dream :cool:

Obviously that spec isn't cost effective but the sheer design & function of the iMac makes it one of the best ready made machines out there, good value too when you consider the form/function & some of the lower specs ARE cost effective imo.

Finally the gaming angle/argument is also narrowing when you compare a custom pc to the design of the iMac. (yes a purpose built gaming pc will always win, but the tech is getting there to fall in line with Apple[+others] take on design).*

*this post is not flame proof ;)

Associate
OP
I'm very pleased with the update, my order is placed for the 27" 3.4 i7 Quad, 6970m 2gb & 2tb hdd. Will upgrade the RAM myself and at some point, may attempt a vertex3 ssd install. God help me!

Was very pleased to discover that the new iMacs are using the Z68 chipset, too. Two thunderbolts? Yes, great, now all we need are some DEVICES!!!

Soldato
There will be things released soon, the transfer rate and potential is too much for things not to come out for it!

Im amazed the z68 is in the imac (found a few sources for the info) this apple-intel thing is working out very well for now (till the arm proc's get better).

Still really considering an imac now, even though I wasn't planning on it at all! Got to hold out for the mini update first to make any sort of plans

Permabanned
(till the arm proc's get better).

My twitter feed has had a couple of macrumors and appleinsider tweets about Apple planning to switch to ARM.

Which makes sense. They've bought up a couple of ARM businesses. So production can all be "in house" and the code base between iOS and future iterations of OS X (or whatever comes next) can be unified and simplified, applications shared across devices without the need for recompiling for different architectures.

Back
Top Bottom