18gb of ram

Associate
Compared to what? The 4GB in your sig? Probably. But would the gain be noticeable above 8or even 6GB? I doubt it.

It does depends on what software you are using and how large/the nature of your modelling.
I do a lot of product and engineering models and rarely exceed 5GB RAM usage.

When it comes to rendering though the more the better, I have 12GB and have used 11GB of it on some of the renders.

Associate
Increased speed within gaming generally comes from your CPU/GPU, sure RAM does have a vital role to play, but it's all interlinking with each other.

Low ram bottle necks the cpu/gpu, bad cpu bottle necks the ram/gpu and so on!

Soldato
I personally have capped out my 4gb of RAM a few times when modelling in Maya. I have just bought 8gb more and am looking to run 12gb. I doubt I ever use all 12gb unless I go crazy, but its there just in case.

Soldato
i heard for gaming u dont need more than 4gb as it wont make a difference over 4 gb? is that true?

As already said, its all linked together, but generally you would say that is correct. I have seen my RAM almost hit 4gb in large Civ5 games though, so there are instances when having more could help.

Associate
I run 8g and use solidworks 2011 and i dont hit over 4g.

Any more than 4g i would make a ramdrive to run programs off make ssd drives SLOW

I,m running a 4gb ramdrive atm and things FLY !!!

I agree Civ 5 can get pretty high mem usage as well as SCOM 1 with huge wars !!!

Associate
No game is programmed to take advantage of more than 4gig and its pretty unlikely to in the forseeable fututre. More than 4gig is for business class apps, servers, multiple virtual machines etc.

Associate
No game is programmed to take advantage of more than 4gig and its pretty unlikely to in the forseeable fututre.
I'm 99.9% sure Metro 2033 recommends 8GB, and when I got my 8GB last year review comparisons were suggesting 6GB is the performance/value sweet spot for gamers.

RAM is cheap now, 8GB should be an easy choice now for gamers. More than that is probably unnecessary.

Associate
I cap out 8gb quite often, but I can be running up to 6 virtual machines on my box at the same time testing different projects. I could definately make use of 18 :)

Back
Top Bottom