• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Some upgrade help please?

Soldato
Hi, this is now the third time I've tried posting in this section to see if someone here can help me out, hopefully my thread goes up this time!!!

Basically atm I am running a pair of W/Ced GTX280's in SLi, and I really want to go back to a single card system again, as it's a lot less hassle than multi GPU setups imo.

I've been planning on grabbing one of the GTX480s to replace my 280s, and buying the waterblock and backplace so I can have it running under water instead of air, as my dad has a pair of 480s in his rig, and when the fan winds up it sounds like a bloody hairdryer which I just couldn't live with at all!!!

Another thing that's been bothering me is, should I just spent out the extra cash towards buying the GTX580 and block instead, would I see much if any real world performance difference between the 480 and 580??

And if there were performance gains would it be worth the extra cash?

I could get myself a 480, block and backplate for just short of £300, or I could just buy the 580 from here that comes with the block and backplate pre-fitted for £442:80, money really isn't that much of an object, as I'm good at saving for stuff if I really want it, and it will only take me a couple of months putting money aside to buy the 580, but I could go out in the next week and get myself the 480 and WC block so I could have the new card now...

Any help/advise would be much appreciated indeed guys, as I am at a lost cause here...

Also, I was looking at these "unlockable 6950s that can be turned into a 6970, but can't seem to find blocks and backplates anywhere, so that's really what's stopped me looking for an ATi solution, plus I haven't owned an ATi card since the Rage Fury Maxx and that card gave me a lot of problems so I've kinda stuck with nVidia since then!!!, but if someone here can swing me towards ATi and also whether there are any EK waterblocks for the 6950 then I might also consider one of those, though by the way these 480s seem to be priced on pretty much every site they seem like the best option for me anyway, but would still like input from people here to see what you lot have to say about my situation, and also what you'd do if you were in the same position.

Thanks in advance

Dave

Soldato
If money's not a problem, get the 580. It's much cooler and quicker than the 480.
Having said that, the price the 480 is now, it's great value.

I don't know anything about water-cooling, so can't help you with wether the 6950 is suitable.

Soldato
OP
I'm just trying to work out whether the cost vs performance between a 480 and 580 is REALLY worth it, and something is telling me that at 1920x1080p I'm not going to see any benefits at all..

Anyone else got any input please?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom