England vs. France [Read during Euro2004]

Associate
England vs. France

Looking at the probable teams for each of them, it strikes me there is a frightening unbalance.

Barthez vs. James = Barthez

Lizarazu vs. Cole = Lizarazu
Desailly vs. Campbell = Campbell
Silvestre vs. Terry = Silvestre?
Thuram vs. Neville = Thuram

Pires vs. Scholes = Scholes?
Makelele vs. Cole/Hargreaves = Makelele
Vieira vs. Gerrard/Butt = Vieira
Zidane vs. Beckham = Zidane

Henry vs. Owen = lol.
Trezeguet vs. Rooney/Heskey = lol.

Soldato
Yeah I know what you mean, hopefully France will have an off day, but best I can see us getting will be a draw.

Only thing in our favour is that most of the French team is getting on a bit, and their defence on paper looks slightly suspect. We will have to be very good defensively otherwise we will get roasted.

Man of Honour
Trezeguet is poo, Desailly is poo and Barthez is a clown. I also rate Terry higher than Silvestri but I prefer Woodgate. If France play that team and we have Rooney not Heskey I'd be rather confident.

Associate
OP
Barthez is a clown, but he's still one of the best shot stoppers in the world. He'll make a blunder maybe twice a season, but he'll save you so many times in between.

Trezeguet is poo? Don't lie and tell me you'd rather have Owen/Rooney/Heskey/Beattie/Vassel :)

Terry is probably better than Silvestre, not entirely sure though. Silvestre has been really good with Rio for the last year or so.

Basically, we're outgunned in every position. Saying that they got beaten by Senegal(?) at the world cup, so anythings possible.

Man of Honour
I'm not sure it would be Cole/Hargreaves in midfield. Lampard perhaps.

Also you can re-arrange the matchups to even things out a bit.
e.g. Campbell is better than Silvestre, and Terry/Woodgate is better than Desailly.

Soldato
England need to go into this game and be very defensive. If they think they can go in and out attack France then there will be a massacre and many England fans will be in tears coz France will batter you silly if they are on form. Play defensive and hit them on the counter and I think you stand a decent chance, France are probably the best side in the world but they can be beaten if you get your tactics right.

This is the team I think France and England should play

Barthez vs. James = James

Lizarazu vs. Cole = Cole (Lizarzu isn't as good as he used to be)
Gallas vs. Campbell = Campbell
Silvestre vs. Terry = Equal
Thuram vs. Neville = Thuram

Zidane vs. Scholes = Zidane
Makelele vs. Butt = Makelele
Vieira vs. Gerrard = Vieira
Pires vs Beckham = Pires

Henry vs. Owen = Henry
Trezeguet vs. Rooney = Trez

Originally posted by Gilly
Trezeguet is poo

He was top scorer in the 01-02 season with 24 goals in 32 games, 9 goals in 14 games last season and 12 goals in 17 this season. Would you like to change your opinion now?

Associate
OP
Sorry, but Barthez is in another league to James.

Lizarazu is still awesome. Getting on a bit but not too old really.

Not sure who their defence will be to be honest, I just pasted from their last official game. Gallas + Boumsong were awesome at the confeds cup, maybe it'll be them again, who knows.

Man of Honour
Originally posted by Jazz

He was top scorer in the 01-02 season with 24 goals in 32 games, 9 goals in 14 games last season and 12 goals in 17 this season. Would you like to change your opinion now?

No.

Also, Gallas > Campbell. Lizarazu > Cole, even if he isn't as good as he used to be.

Didn't France get beaten in every match and not score 1 goal at the WC?

Soldato

Yeah, but that was freak, like a lot of things that happened at the last WC. I think anyone would have to be a fool to believe that France would be that poor again in a major tournament.

Man of Honour
Originally posted by JohnnyG
I'd say a lower league if anything. If he was any good Fergie would have kept him & he knows better than most:)

Nah, Barthez just wasn't consistent enough is all. He was too stupid sometimes. He CAN be one of the best keepers in the world on his day. James cannot.
Originally posted by Nismo
Yeah, but that was freak, like a lot of things that happened at the last WC. I think anyone would have to be a fool to believe that France would be that poor again in a major tournament.

Absolutely, I was just pointing out that anything could happen :)

Soldato
No.

Well your talking rubbish then.

That was more down the manager than anything. Playing Lebourf(sp?) and Desailly at the back and using Henry as a winger. Their whole team was based around Zidane and when he got injured he didn't have a clue what to do. These days France have coped ok without Zidane, mainly due to Henry though.

Lizarazu has been very average when I've seen him for Bayern Munich, he certainly isn't the player he once was. He has been very average from what I've seen. Cole has been outstanding for us, but obviously most non-Arsenal fans won't admit that, mainly coz they don't like to admit they are wrong about it him.

Man of Honour
Originally posted by Jazz
Go on then explain to me how Trezguet is poo.

I don't know who that is :o

If we're talking about Trezeguet, it is because no matter how many times I watch him he shows zero skill and displays zero talent. Hardly the mark of a great.

Soldato
Pires doesn't start for France tho! Trezeguet is certainly better than Heskey, Vassell et al.

Shouldn't we be looking at the players they will actually face? i.e. Henry v Campbell, Gallas v Heskey!

Associate
OP
Originally posted by quackers
i know france are a good side, but that first post was a bit over the top.

England are a good side, it'll be a close game.

Over the top how? If anything it underestimated France, as I forgot about Gallas and started Desailly.

Each area compared to France is pretty bad. Zidane & Vieira could probably outplay our midfield on their own, without Pires & Makalele. Our 'best' striker Owen is a joke compared to Henry & Trez, not even on the same planet. Lizarazu & Thuram vs Neville & Cole is a total mismatch again. The only area we are competetive is our central defence, which is why our only chance is probably to hope we can frustrate them in attack and catch them on the break and hope that Owen can dive for a penalty or something.

A bit worried we're going to get totally embarrased. We'll see in the summer!

Soldato
I don't know who that is :o

If we're talking about Trezeguet, it is because no matter how many times I watch him he shows zero skill and displays zero talent. Hardly the mark of a great.

Typed a response out for this but my little cousin came and deleted it! Damn kids!

Right now onto Trez, he isn't as good as some make it out but certainly isn't poo like you said earlier. He relies a lot on others and is abit of a bender. Reminds me of Andy Cole, will miss a few chances but will score quite a few as well!

Back
Top Bottom