Black marks inside screen

Soldato
I have a 42LG5020 lcd tv and over the past month or so these black smudge mark have started to run down the screen starting off at the edges and now long marks in the middle of the screen itself now.
Now have read a bit on this on av forums so it seems to be a problem with the backlight diffusers becoming discoloured that is causing these marks.
Just a little peeved of tbh as tv is only 3 years old and out of the 12 month warranty,seems a very short lifespan for something that cost me £800 then,thought at least i would get 6-7 years out of a decent telly:(

So the next step is to go plasma when the funding is there i was looking at the SAMSUNG PS50C68050" PLASMA 3D TV,is that worthwhile upgrade same price as i paid for the LG.;)

Last edited:
Associate
Remember the Sales of Goods Act 1979 gives you some protection for 6 years against faults that you can prove were there from manufacture, which doesn't sound like it would be too difficult.

Might be worth sending LG an email for some compensation at least :)

Soldato
OP
cheers fellas,i will look into that,the replys some people got off LG was poor but i will try,lol will i need to find the proof of purchase its about somewhere but not seen it for 3 years :(

Caporegime
i duuno wots up with your screen.. but plasma tv's have a shorter life span than lcds,, wouldnt u be better off looking at led pannels

Not true. Plasma is the equivalent of LCD/LED in lifespan as a technology.

Plasma TV Lifespan

The lifespan of a plasma TV, contrary to rumor, is great. Also,
the technology is ever advancing to produce better televisions
that will last even longer. Most manufacturers will give an
approximate lifespan of 60,000 hours for their plasma
televisions. That's 20 to 25 years of normal viewing before the
screen begins to noticeably dim. This is a new number that
reflects the improvements made to the technology in recent
years. I suppose you'll be saying they need to be regassed soon too?

Soldato
OP
Thats what i thought MissChief,i am all for new tech and would probs get a new tv every 5-6 years,but 3 years and things start to go wrong is not on,i have messaged LG about the problem and i will see what they say,i am not to hopefull about getting anything out of them tbh but i will try,i could in theory leave my tv on 24/7 for 7 years and it should still work with no faults,same goes with plasma am i right:(

Soldato
i duuno wots up with your screen.. but plasma tv's have a shorter life span than lcds,, wouldnt u be better off looking at led pannels

considering Plasma is BETTER technology than LED backlight LCD, why would the OP want to downgrade.

or could it be that the area of the screen playing up as the gas has escaped and needs to be re-gased. :rolleyes:

(my last statement is complete balls and is not true)

Soldato

For a start the op has already stated whats up with it, i have the same on my panasonic lcd in the bedroom, as for plasma being shorter, your wrong, most plasma panels are quoted to have a 100.000 hr life span, equating to roughly 10years of normal use.

Pretty good id say, and probably better than most lcd's.

Soldato
OP
This a copy i received off LG today.

Dear Mr Spook,not my real name btw lol i changed that:D

Thank you for your e-mail.

You do have rights when it comes to the Sale Of Good Act 1979 but they are with your retailer and not with the manufacturer. Please see below.

The Sale of Goods Act 1979 (SOGA), states that an electrical product should be of satisfactory quality and reliability to last up to 6 years with normal use.

Therefore if a product fails outside the warranty, but is under 6 years old and has been used properly, the product is then in breach of the “satisfactory quality” part of the SOGA.

This covers any manufacturing defect. And the retailer is by law obliged to provide either
a) A repair at no extra cost to the customer
b) A like for like replacement
c) A refund (but usage may be taken into consideration so they may get a depreciated settlement)

There is literally a contract between the retailer and the consumer at the point of sale, and the contract then falls under the conditions of SOGA.

As odd as it may seem, ALL legal rights within the SOGA are with the retailer and not the manufacturer. The retailer CANNOT refer the customer back to the manufacturer.

The retailer cannot tell the customer that they need an uplift number to return the product before they will help, this is nothing to do with the customer, or their rights.

Please refer to the Consumer Direct website or to trading standards, both have contact numbers on the website and either of them can provide assistance to the customer and they can advise them, and even speak to the retailers on their behalf.

Hope this is of some help to you.

Best regards,
LG Electronics UK Helpdesk

I found my receipt nearly 3 years after i stuffed it in a draw lol,and have messaged (am i allowed to say) comet to see what excuses they can come up with,has anybody dealt with any sort of retailer with problems with tv's.

Last edited:
Soldato
A lot of shops can be very difficult when it comes to returning things under the SOGA. I had a bit of a battle having a Toshiba CRT repaired that was 6 months out of warranty. I eventually got it fixed at no cost to me, but had to pay up front initially to get it diagnosed etc. I was also very careful about who I approached in-store, as not all staff are 'up' on the SOGA (or interpret it in a different way).

Good luck.

Soldato
Lg are quite a helpful company tbh, and thats a good response, obviously the retailer will get help from Lg to on resolving the matter.

Pop into the store, be polite and And take a copy of the email with you, and hopefully it will be straight forward.

Soldato
OP
This is repy i got today off comet:(

Thank you for your e-mail

I am sorry to learn of the problems that you have recently experienced. Although I concur that the customer is entitled to make a claim under the Sale of Goods Act up to 6 years after purchase, the Act does not state that goods should remain fault free for any specific period. As advised, it also does not hold the retailer is responsible if goods develop faults that were not present at the time of sale. As you purchased your TV over 6 months ago, it therefore falls to you to prove a manufacturing fault that existed at the time of sale.

Please view the below link for details on a our fixed price repair service which may be suitable to your needs.

Ive taken links out for competitor reasons.

If you require any further assistance, please feel free to contact me using the Ask a Question facility on the website

Regards,

David Ricardo
Comet Customer Services

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
That its technically correct as far as the SOGA is concerned i believe. Its up to you to prove its a manufacturing fault which could be tricky.

any ideas where i go next and what to say,the tv is 3 years old in july,i would expect a tv to last 6-7 years,i really havnt got the money to go out and buy a new one a present:(

Soldato
They are right in that the onus is now on you to prove it was a manufacturing fault. Taking it to an independent electrical engineer/repair place to get it diagnosed should be sufficient (assuming they agree it was an original design fault). If you send them proof it was a design fault, then it is for them to fix.

The stuff about it not developing faults pertains to if it was a design fault or wear and tear (This would be my personal interpretation of it anyhow)!

Good luck!

Soldato
any ideas where i go next and what to say,the tv is 3 years old in july,i would expect a tv to last 6-7 years,i really havnt got the money to go out and buy a new one a present:(

I read this over on whatconsumer.co.uk over a TV that effectively went wrong in under 2 years, but outside warranty, they paid for the repair themselves, but the advice given was

nhcrawford, You are correct, the TV would be expected to last a good deal longer than that without fault, and you certainly shouldn’t have had to pay out for a repair yourself. The warranty is irrelevant, you have a statutory right to expect durability under Sale of Goods. The problem is trying to get your money back now. The usual procedure is to return it to the supplier who will foot the bill, rather than dealing directly with the manufacturer. However, if you were able to get a written report from the approved repairer to say it was nothing you did, then you would have a good claim against them. Give them reasonable notice to pay or threaten them with the small claims court.
So, as said, get a repair engineer or similar to state it isn't your fault for the failure and it might be hopeful..

Soldato
I had to get the TV I mentioned earlier looked at first, but even then they (the engineers) wouldn't come out and say it was a design fault. And of course, the manufacturer themselves wouldn't admit that there was a design fault with one of their tellies.

I just persisted that the TV hadn't been on long enough for anything to fail via wear and tear (apart from perhaps a button or a socket) and the company relented. I suppose it often depends on the cost of the repair as to how defensive they are.

Soldato
Lg are quite a helpful company tbh, and thats a good response, obviously the retailer will get help from Lg to on resolving the matter.

Pop into the store, be polite and And take a copy of the email with you, and hopefully it will be straight forward.

I'm not sure about this as I thought the likes of the DSG group bought out the warranties so to get the stock cheaper.

I would search google to check to see if its a common fault. My NEC monitor is suffering from getting dust inside. Now thats a design fault which was obviously there from manufacture

Back
Top Bottom