New iMac refresh today?

Associate
Hi all,

The usual sources suggest Apple are rolling out a new iMac refresh today. My question isn't "what will it be?" because I can wait the few hours it will take for the store to come back online.

My dad bought a new iMac on Saturday without consulting me first and has spent the weekend getting it all back online (had a few issues with Time Machine and multiple logins). Would Apple be happy to take the iMac back so he can get one of the new refreshed models?

If Apple refresh a product within 14 days of you buying it, you can take it back to the shop and swap it out, no fuss.

Soldato
Well as expected the iMac's have been refreshed and as suspected nothing more than a speed bump - very disappointed that this is the best Apple could come up with. No matte screen option, no intermediate new panel size, no re-design. Just the same as the MBP range - nothing new to offer except speed bump, has Apple run out of ideas?

There is rumour of a complete re-design new concept for 2012 with much reduced footprint. However, with everything Apple it's always jam tomorrow.

Associate
You seem to be moaning for moaning's sake. They're hardly going to start reproducing 24 inch iMacs when they made a deliberate move to 21.5 and 27 inch models only a few years ago. If you don't like the glossy screen - buy a matte film for it.

Why would they redesign just for the sake of it? A redesign would have almost zero impact on sales, so there's no incentive to do it. The design that they're currently using, which is a few years old, is still the best looking desktop on the market.

No one in their right mind was expecting a redesign with this iMac update, so I'm really surprised your disappointed.

Soldato
Faustus likes to whinge about Apple every chance he gets.

If you mean I've not been seduced by the whole Apple is great Apple is wonderful Apple can do no wrong like many Apple fanboys on this forum then I fully accept that to be the case. As one gets older one gets more cynical and able to see past marketing hype.

I'm not alone in wanting a matte screen option for the iMac instead of the dreadful mirror that presently comes as standard. I'm also not alone in wanting an intermediate panel size e.g. 24" that would fit nicely between the tablet sized 21.5" Mac and the way to large for many 27" offering.

Most of what Apple have announced one can already get in your bog standard average PC and for a lot less money.

I'm also of the view that if Apple put a SB cpu in the Mini along with an increase in HD size and more RAM then I will sell my iMac and go with a Mini.

In the meantime you just carry on buying whatever Apple tell you this is what you are going to get.

Soldato
You seem to be moaning for moaning's sake. They're hardly going to start reproducing 24 inch iMacs when they made a deliberate move to 21.5 and 27 inch models only a few years ago. If you don't like the glossy screen - buy a matte film for it.

Why would they redesign just for the sake of it? A redesign would have almost zero impact on sales, so there's no incentive to do it. The design that they're currently using, which is a few years old, is still the best looking desktop on the market.

No one in their right mind was expecting a redesign with this iMac update, so I'm really surprised your disappointed.

CNET have been criticising Apple for some time now for not offering a larger screen than the 21.5" model so I'm in good company. Many reviews also criticise Apple for not offering a matte screen - again I'm in good company. Lots of criticism that Blu-Ray is still not being offered - again I'm in good company. Finally it's rumoured that Apple are in fact already in the midst of redesigning the iMac for 2012 with reports it will be much slimmer and have a smaller overall footprint.

I think my so called moaning are fair points picked up by many a professional reviewer along with many people on other forums so I won't worry to much about your particular post.

Soldato
Faustus said:
PRO REVIEWERS, PRO REVIEWERS,
PRO REVIEWERS, PRO REVIEWERS,
PRO REVIEWERS, PRO REVIEWERS
These operations you hold in such high regard need something to write about because that's their job.

I hold your and any other enthusiasts volunteered opinion over shovelware magazines and websites grubbing up advertising revenue.

PR.

PR.

Associate
Yup, the previous iMac has a MiniDisplayPort for use on an external screen. It also allows you to connect a MiniDisplayPort device to the iMac and use the iMacs display. The new model allows for the connection of 2 external screens.

Soldato
tablet sized 21.5" Mac and the way to large for many 27" offering.

Jesus Christ, listen to yourself. There's not even seven inches between them, but the smaller is *tablet sized* and the larger is *way too big*

Get real. If they made a 24" matte iMac tomorrow you'd still moan. I don't understand why you spend so much time in this subforum when all you do is whinge.

Whinge whinge whinge.

Permabanned
Edit: Actually it's not even worth getting into an argument about. I'm already skating on thin ice and will probably end up banned.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yup, the previous iMac has a MiniDisplayPort for use on an external screen. It also allows you to connect a MiniDisplayPort device to the iMac and use the iMacs display. The new model allows for the connection of 2 external screens.
Thanks, I totally forgot about the display port. :) I have a pretty nice 24" screen so if I did get an iMac then I'd like to be able to use it.

Soldato
Jesus Christ, listen to yourself. There's not even seven inches between them, but the smaller is *tablet sized* and the larger is *way too big*

Get real. If they made a 24" matte iMac tomorrow you'd still moan. I don't understand why you spend so much time in this subforum when all you do is whinge.

Whinge whinge whinge.

Listen fanboy stop sucking your thumb it will only shrivel up. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom