Helping a friend out.

Soldato
Basically a mate has asked for me to go up to basildon from southend ( which isnt far) to sort his pc out, he offered me some money for doing so.

Hes a good mate, i was just wondering what is reasonable amount to ask ?.

Just Train fare ?
£10 ?
or ?

Cool,

Michael

Soldato
When I've done similar for friends in the past its normally been travel costs (only if I wasn't going there anyway) + beer/pizza

They don't get charged for my time and are expected to buy any hardware/software which turns out to be required (and to be properly licensed for software if it's a software issue ...).

Soldato
Id say beer and pizza as well. He's a mate, not a client.

That's when you go out on the lash with him afterwards. Anyway, Southend isn't far from Bas Vegas so nbd.

Caporegime
When you say 'sort it out', do you mean format and reinstall Windows, fit new CPU, install Office and all his games and drivers? Or just run a virus scanner and update the BIOS or something?

If I was there all day I'd expect a large crate of beer.

Man of Honour
If it's a relatively quick fix, just get him to cover travel costs or buy lunch/beer. If it's going to take a while then accept whatever he offers you - afterall he's a friend - I'd not even ask personally, but each to their own. :)

Nix

Nix

Soldato
Pay your own train fare, it's what... ~£5.60 for a return?

He can pay for the drinks/night-out tonight.

It's a mate, money shouldn't come into it.

Soldato
I used to fix everything for free for my friends and still can but recently I fixed 2 laptops which I took home to fix so I charged them but only £20 (backup all files and reinstall OS) and then £10 (that was a quick fix actually) so that was a massive discount on my part.

But if I went to a friend’s house for a coffee and chat and then do some quick fix there is no way I would charge anything ever.

Soldato
Basically a mate has asked for me to go up to basildon from southend ( which isnt far) to sort his pc out, he offered me some money for doing so.

Hes a good mate, i was just wondering what is reasonable amount to ask ?.

Just Train fare ?
£10 ?
or ?

Cool,

Michael

I would say take me to the pub for a few beers and my tea and its all sorted. Favour for a favour rather than turning it into a financial transaction.

Soldato
/devils advocate/

Nothing because to do so will breach your car insurance if you are not a licensed taxi

/devils advocate/

But if he "happened" to drop some money down the side of your seat and then forgot about it and you found it and thought it was yours, then that would be OK.

However, if it was my mate I would just do it for free? Thats what mates are for......

Back
Top Bottom