VirtualBox help needed plz - What's Nested Paging?

Soldato
Right now I'm running a few x64 Win7 VM's in VB, and Win7 Pro x64 is my host OS, and I'm wondering what Nested Paging is?

Sometimes things can run pretty slowly, and this is mostly down to my HDD which is struggling to keep up with things, would turning Nested Paging on or off speed things up a little?

THanks. :)

Soldato
OP
Do you have one hard drive in your system? I always try to run VM's on my secondary drive with PageFile on the primary and secondary.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3413 looks interesting.

Nice link, thanks.

It seems that my processor does not support Nested Paging so I've disabled it now and things seem a little faster.

Saying that you are spot on about the hard drive. I'm running a single 2tb Samsung F4, which is only 5400rpm.

I was going to get an SSD but now I think I'm going to get a Velociraptor in order to speed things up a little. :)

Soldato
OP
the Disk Speed will be a huge bottleneck and the cause of your slow downs for sure!

Yep, it really slows my machine down and I can tell that it's the disk speed that's holding it back as I'm not hitting 100% CPU or RAM usage yet it's still slow.

I'll be getting a Velociraptor pretty soon so I'm hoping that will improve things.

I'm tempted to go SSD but they're still too much hassle for me at this stage, I'll probably get one next year once they become more mainstream.

Don
I like to put Virtual machines on their own hard drive, makes for easy migration to another machine and stops other programs / file access slowing them down

Back
Top Bottom