Anyone here have a Yaris?

Soldato
Services are every 10,000 miles and there isn't a big service per se. The engine is chain driven so it should last a hell of a lot longer than a cambelt before needing to be replaced. You're looking at easily 100k+.

VVT-i is just a way of varying the timing of the intake valves to increase the efficiency of the engine.

The T Sport has a 1.5l engine with 103bhp which is about 2 seconds faster to 60 than the 1.3 but is about 10mpg worse on petrol. It has air conditioning as standard and a sunroof. It also has a bodykit on it and has a standard analogue dash instead of the digital one in the other models.

Associate
I use to have a T-sport and I got 41.9 mpg out of it each week. That was a mixture of driving as well. Mine had 110k on the clock and was running perfect.

The T-Sport model is the highest trim level out of the Yaris so it has sportier seats, better alloys, PAS, ABS, aircon, better dials and a better interior. TBH you shouldnt get anything other that a 1.3 or a T sport.

Caporegime
OP
The more i hear the more i like this car.

It's cheap to run: low repair bills, good on gas, cheap to insure, japanese build quality
It's not expensive to buy (relatively speaking)
It's reliable
It's quick enough for what i want it for, odd trip to my dad's and sister's and some photography jobs. It won't be a daily commuter.

Is there anything bad about this car? I know it's small but that's not a negative for me, I don't intend to have a family yet lol

Associate
If you get a Tsport version some of the parts are expensive if you are looking to replace the orignals but if you get aftermarket parts they are cheaper and better.
There isnt much bad things about the Yaris tbh.

Heres a review about it Yaris review
Dont know if it will help.

(dont know if the link is against any rules, if so then can a mod remove it and I apologise)

Associate
I used to own a T-sport and I would be interested to know which parts you are referring to BD10NNF? I'm not aware it has much extra on it that costs significantly more than any of the other Yaris'.

As people have siad the main difference with the t-sport is the engine, its 105Bhp and 0-60 in around 8.5 seconds with a top speed of 120. All whilst only being group 7 (on the old groups) insurance making it a real contender for young drivers. I was paying about £700 a year with a few modifications declared.

The main advantages of the t-sport are a better interior (sportier seats) air conditioning, and a "moon roof" or sun roof to everyone else, it also has analogue dials rather than the digital dash in all the other models.

If you drive it sensibly it will quite easily give you 40MPG all day long, tax and servicing are reasonable for what it is. I didn't have anything go wrong in my year long onwnership.

About the only bad thing about it is that its not paticuarely refined on the motorway, but it more than makes up for it in laughs on b roads.

Cracking car in my opinion. If you do get one make sure to do a quick google for yaris club uk as there is a wealth of information on there.

Associate
Refering to exhaust mainly. Got quoted for a full system up to the manifold £600 cause one part of piping had a crack which I just got welded in the end. Also the seat belts arent cheap. I damaged mine cause I fidgit a lot and it started to rub and part of it started to rip so I had to buy another one 2nd hand.

You definately need to get on the Yaris forum cause theres a load of info on there. Also I recognize you binnsy from Yaris club. Even I was on and still am on that place.

Make sure that you have a good look around for one cause there are some dogs out there that are thrashed and beaten. Not worth the hassle with them even if they are a bargin.

Last edited:
Associate
Refering to exhaust mainly. Got quoted for a full system up to the manifold £600 cause one part of piping had a crack which I just got welded in the end. A

Also I recognize you binnsy from Yaris club. Even I was on and still am on that place.

Fair enough, mine had a fujitsubo back box anyway so never had to much in the way of exhaust worries :p

I should really drop by that forum again, kind of lost interest after what happened to mine and always find it a little painful going back on there. (pulled out in front of a motorbike for those that wont know on here and might be wondering, resulting in both vehicles being written off but everyone walking away).

jfp

jfp

Associate
Fair enough, mine had a fujitsubo back box anyway so never had to much in the way of exhaust worries :p

I should really drop by that forum again, kind of lost interest after what happened to mine and always find it a little painful going back on there. (pulled out in front of a motorbike for those that wont know on here and might be wondering, resulting in both vehicles being written off but everyone walking away).

You really should! we all miss you! tbh most people have moved on now... mainly to mx5's but yeah, there is also an awesome guy from Australia who rally's his...

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Wife has a 5 door T sport in thunder grey on an 05 plate and for a small car it's actually pretty nice.

When she said she wanted a 5 door at first I thought meh, but after going to see it my opinion changed and reckon they actually look a good if not better than the 3 door weirdly.

It's got 55k on the clock at the moment and has been very well looked after, and she's looking to sell it soon as she's seen something else she likes today lol ;)

Caporegime
OP
Wife has a 5 door T sport in thunder grey on an 05 plate and for a small car it's actually pretty nice.

When she said she wanted a 5 door at first I thought meh, but after going to see it my opinion changed and reckon they actually look a good if not better than the 3 door weirdly.

It's got 55k on the clock at the moment and has been very well looked after, and she's looking to sell it soon as she's seen something else she likes today lol ;)

Dips ! lol

Not until the summer though, about June time I think :)

Soldato
The more i hear the more i like this car.

It's cheap to run: low repair bills, good on gas, cheap to insure, japanese build quality
It's not expensive to buy (relatively speaking)
It's reliable
It's quick enough for what i want it for, odd trip to my dad's and sister's and some photography jobs. It won't be a daily commuter.

Is there anything bad about this car? I know it's small but that's not a negative for me, I don't intend to have a family yet lol

Bad...

- No Cruise/6th Gear (at least on the '04 1.0ltr) - it does your head in over 60MPH with the engine sounding like it's being butchered.

- A very tall car, it catches the slightest wind too easily. Compared to my Elise which is very streamlined and could drive it in a Hurricane perfectly!

- Clutch pedal is very soft

- Reverse gear is sometimes difficult to get (often have to retry the shift 2-3 times)

- Air-con is a MUST (from a Yaris that doesn't have it)

- You cannot hold the car on the 'bite' for a hillstart; it will either stall or roll. There is not enough torque there. (probably only on the 1.0ltr engine that I have)

Last edited:
Soldato
My mother has had various Yaris' (sp) since the model came out. I think she's had 4 now and the worst thing to happen was my dad putting petrol in a diesel car. Fantastic cars IMO.

My Mrs has one in Canada. 1.5l, just works perfect for what she needs.

The 1.3 would probably be better. My mom didn't like the 1.0l as it didn't have enough zip (yes I used the word zip :p).

Soldato
- A very tall car, it catches the slightest wind too easily. Compared to my Elise which is very streamlined and could drive it in a Hurricane perfectly!

Did you really just compare a Yaris to an Elise? :p

Never found a problem with clutch and motorway on the 1.3l or Canadian 1.5l. Nether are fantastic at motorway speeds but will do the job.

Permabanned
We had one, and completed over 1000 miles through France in it.

I don't subscribe to this completely bland handling, either - around our little back roads, it can actually be a bit of fun.

Ours was the 1.0 S (4 Cylinder), and had enough power to get around - it was reasonable up until 80, but took a few years to get any higher :)

Soldato
- Reverse gear is sometimes difficult to get (often have to retry the shift 2-3 times)
- You cannot hold the car on the 'bite' for a hillstart; it will either stall or roll. There is not enough torque there. (probably only on the 1.0ltr engine that I have)

Perhaps yours is broken because my girlfriend doesn't have these issues with her 1.0.

Associate
Had one for a while as a rental car and hated it - noisy, underpowered, very wooly handling. That said, it was very good on fuel, and they're supposed to be reliable, so it's probably not a bad choice as a first car.

Back
Top Bottom