One of the many reasons I buy Macs. Apple support...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
One of the reasons I don't buy a Mac though is because of the disgraceful price/performance ratio.

People like you are actually genuinely deluded by anti-Apple lies. This year, i bought a brand new MacBook Pro for about £1500. It is 15" model and has a Core i7 processor.

Go to your favourite computer resellers website, preferably one that allows you to sort by feature, and look at the prices for this configuration.

They are ALL circa £1500. The difference is the MacBooks have aluminium casing with backlit keys etc, whereas the others are plastic cases with lower battery life (i have never seen a laptop last as long on battery as this MacBook does). Given the build quality, as a side by side comparison of other manufacturer laptops with simular component builds, the Apple products are actually extremely good value.

So if you have read somewhere Macs have 'disgraceful price/performance ratios' then please, go do the math yourself and stop believing everything you read on the internet.

Last edited:
Associate
People like you are actually genuinely deluded by anti-Apple lies. This year, i bought a brand new MacBook Pro for about £1500. It is 15" model and has a Core i7 processor.

Go to your favourite computer resellers website, preferably one that allows you to sort by feature, and look at the prices for this configuration.

They are ALL circa £1500. The difference is the MacBooks have aluminium casing with backlit keys etc, whereas the others are plastic cases with lower battery life (i have never seen a laptop last as long on battery as this MacBook does). Given the build quality, as a side by side comparison of other manufacturer laptops with simular component builds, the Apple products are actually extremely good value.

So if you have read somewhere Macs have 'disgraceful price/performance ratios' then please, go do the math yourself and stop believing everything you read on the internet.
I have noticed that the MBP's aren't actually bad value-for-money compared to other high-end laptops. The problem is more that price curves much more steeply with performance for laptops than it does for desktops. I'm not sure whether this is because Apple dominate this sector or just because there's so little demand compared with crappy little Acer's that people buy for their kids.

Permabanned
The same can be said for all-in-ones. Before I made the switch I was looking for an all-in-one. The only Windows ones at the time where Sony and Asus. The Sonys, though they had blu ray, where about the same price for similar spec'd hardware but they weren't of the quality of the aluminium unibody iMac. The Asus at the time were terribly spec'd and nearly as expensive. So I decided to **** it and go with an iMac.

Now though there are much better spec'd all-in-ones from Asus (featuring touchscreens and the like). But they still don't have the chassis build quality that you get with the aluminium iMac, so that lets them down.

Soldato
But then none of your windows machines are an all in one with the processor and heatsink behind the screen...

So you are saying that Apple's design concept in putting everything in the one small unit is flawed then and should be avoided if as a consumer you are looking for longevity and reliability of product?

Permabanned
So you are saying that Apple's design concept in putting everything in the one small unit is flawed then and should be avoided if as a consumer you are looking for longevity and reliability of product?

No. I'm saying, as per usual, you're whinging and bringing up hardware comparisons that have absolutely no relevance to what I or the OP were talking about.

Soldato
I don't think it's particularly fair to measure the performance & reliability of hardware from an internet forum. It's a bit like going to casualty in some respects isn't it... You don't post to say hey, everything is working just great :)

I think it's the only way the consumer can get an indication of reliability, not foolproof I grant you but better than no information at all which surely plays into the hands of the manufacturer.

When I look at the Mac forums (of which there are quite a few) I'm genuinely concerned by the number of faults both with the iMac and the Mini there appears to be. For a high end premium brand I would expect less. Don't take my word for it do a trawl of the forums yourself and take a look.

Soldato
No. I'm saying, as per usual, you're whinging and bringing up hardware comparisons that have absolutely no relevance to what I or the OP were talking about.

Why is it that you appear to unable to accept valid criticism of a product and take it as a personal attack on yourself? Are you so insecure in your own skin that you have to come back with a personal attack? Perhaps you could benefit from counseling to get to the real cause of your issues?

Permabanned
Why is it that you appear to unable to accept valid criticism of a product and take it as a personal attack on yourself? Are you so insecure in your own skin that you have to come back with a personal attack? Perhaps you could benefit from counseling to get to the real cause of your issues?

Oh pipe down you miserable sod. I took a hammering when I thought to criticise the iPhone 4 in these forums. I didn't take what you said as a personal attack. I just saw it as another "here comes Faustus and he's going to be complaining again". And you were. About something that had no relevance to what I or the original poster where talking about. Maybe if you'd said "my own iMac doesn't suffer from that problem" I would have said "congratulations, you're lucky". But you didn't. You went on about an 8 year old windows machine that had no relevance to the conversation in question. So I pointed it out.

Maybe instead of ****ing and moaning about everything Apple do you should give up and sell your Apple stuff. It clearly isn't for you. Christ knows the forum would be better for it so every time we see Faustus has posted people don't have to roll their eyes and think "here we go". Of course, you can criticise Apple all you want. As can I. But don't get ****y and throw ad hominem attacks on people who think your opinions in regards to particular points (which is a lot of them in this sub forum) are bull****.

Soldato
The Sonys, though they had blu ray, where about the same price for similar spec'd hardware but they weren't of the quality of the aluminium unibody iMac

How can you possibly determine build quality simply by virtue of the fact that a product has an aluminium casing? :confused:

It may look aesthetically more pleasing but that is the only determination you can possibly make.

Permabanned
How can you possibly determine build quality simply by virtue of the fact that a product has an aluminium casing? :confused:

It may look aesthetically more pleasing but that is the only determination you can possibly make.

Possibly because I went into a store and had a look at various all-in-ones.

Soldato
Oh pipe down you miserable sod. I took a hammering when I thought to criticise the iPhone 4 in these forums. I didn't take what you said as a personal attack. I just saw it as another "here comes Faustus and he's going to be complaining again". And you were. About something that had no relevance to what I or the original poster where talking about. Maybe if you'd said "my own iMac doesn't suffer from that problem" I would have said "congratulations, you're lucky". But you didn't. You went on about an 8 year old windows machine that had no relevance to the conversation in question. So I pointed it out.

Maybe instead of ****ing and moaning about everything Apple do you should give up and sell your Apple stuff. It clearly isn't for you. Christ knows the forum would be better for it so every time we see Faustus has posted people don't have to roll their eyes and think "here we go". Of course, you can criticise Apple all you want. As can I. But don't get ****y and throw ad hominem attacks on people who think your opinions in regards to particular points (which is a lot of them in this sub forum) are bull****.

Isn't that what democracy is all about, the freedom to express an alternative point of view. Perhaps given your post you don't believe in democracy? If you PM me I can give you the number of a good counsellor as you obviously have issues.

Permabanned
Isn't that what democracy is all about, the freedom to express an alternative point of view. Perhaps given your post you don't believe in democracy? If you PM me I can give you the number of a good counsellor as you obviously have issues.

Did I say you shouldn't give your opinions? I said you're welcome to give them.

However, all you do, is **** and moan in this sub forum. Like I pointed out. And you continue to **** and moan about people saying you're ****ing and moaning when they turn round and tell you your opinions on a specific point are nonsense. Not just me. In this thread. Any thread you appear in. Whinging. About something. Someone will counter. Then you'll proclaim them to be a fanboy suckling at the teat of Jobs.

Maybe, you can now make a post about me being a Nazi and oppressing your freedom to **** and moan. However, I will counter that I have done no such thing and repeat the points that I have already made. You will then retort either with another baseless ad hominem attack or come up with some other incredibly childish attempt to belittle what I say by implying I need to see a counsellor/take a chill pill/perform any number of inane little quips you deem to be terribly witty.

Soldato
What happens when you are not near an Apple store and you need hardware support such as the op? Will Apple pay for shipping?

Either way, great support from Apple.

Permabanned
What happens when you are not near an Apple store and you need hardware support such as the op? Will Apple pay for shipping?

Either way, great support from Apple.

I believe so. If you don't live near a store or certified 3rd party, or can't get the time, they'll organise a pickup and return.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom