The Return of Fuel Protests

Soldato
Do you expect them to do it for free?

Of course not, but when they are posting 1 billion pound quarter profits surely there's a little room. I.e. we're not just getting ripped by the government but by the government AND oil companies.

Which is why I stated why are we just looking at the government? Yes the taxes are massive but they are not the only culprit here. IMO of course. :p

Well if they have a typical profit margin then the high volumes will lead to high profits......

Whats your take on Coca Cola and its prices?

I don't drink Coca Cola.

What are the profit margins on oil Jonnycoupe?

Soldato
Of course not, but when they are posting 1 billion pound quarter profits surely there's a little room. I.e. we're not just getting ripped by the government but by the government AND oil companies.

Which is why I stated why are we just looking at the government? Yes the taxes are massive but they are not the only culprit here. IMO of course. :p

I don't drink Coca Cola.

Royal Dutch Shell 2010 Monthly floated between 4.0 and 6.5%

Coca Cola 2010 profit margin post tax was 22%.

Cheers

Soldato
Royal Dutch Shell 2010 Monthly floated between 4.0 and 6.5%

Coca Cola 2010 profit margin post tax was 22%.

Cheers

Not seeing your point at all. I don't have to drink Coca Cola. I have no choice but to use oil or a by product of oil.

Why are we even talking about Coca Cola prices? I don't buy 30 litres of coke every week so it is irrelavant.

I agree.

Soldato
rypt: the customer support section is HERE

give me a shout if you want assistance in RMAing your keyboard. it is obviously faulty...

tumblr_lh6ophKkPq1qbtpql.gif

Soldato
Why are people solely looking to the government here? Oil companies are making a carp load of cash every single day.

This is what stemmed my Coca Cola point of reference.

The more obvious point also is that when you go into a shop to buy Coca Cola you will be paying twice that of the price of a heavily taxed fuel that needs around 20% its energy content just to split into the various fractions.

Its pretty obvious really. :rolleyes: They might make a lot of cash by definition of having a massive revenue and turnover. The actual profit, which is what it means when people actually 'make money' is not particularly high. In fact it ties in with many car makers margins....

To summarise and close:

That is why we are talking about Governments.

Last edited:
Associate
Taxed into the floor whenever you buy anything these days. Really sucks. ):

Ah well, wont stop us buying anything though. :D I'm off to panic buy a mars bar. o/

alx

alx

Soldato

I don't drink Coca Cola.

Oh dear not again.

If you look at oil companies they don't actually have particularly brilliant profit margins, last time I looked I think Shells was ~8% (may be a % or 2 out). People just see billions in profit and get carried away, it's their pure size and amount of oil they produce which produces these large figures.

Lots of other companies have much larger profit margins but people just jump on the bandwagon because it's oil.

Here's a quote/comment from BPs AGM in April:

One investors angrily suggests BP is profiteering at the petrol pumps. Dudley denies this. He says "one of the unique" things about the UK market is that "it is the cheapest pre-tax gasoline in the world but among the most expensive post tax." He says of the "145p so or pump price, BP make just 5p." He says "you have to ask the Government how it wants to raise duties in this country."

As has been stated before it's really mainly the governments fault for taxing fuel so much.

Caporegime
Last time I looked our fuel prices and taxes were comparable with the rest of Europe? Also 24p? When they dropped the proposed 1p hike, they had to tax the north sea oil companies 2bn to plug the gap. Where would the gov find 48bn to allow such a drop?
People seem to think that the tax money is just for shts and giggles and its just put under a matress so could be cut out if wanted...

So how did we survive 18 months ago when petrol was nearly £1? From 1999 to 2009 petrol went up 30 pence (1 Decade!). In the last 18 months it has gone up 30p. It doesn't take rocket science to see that something is really wrong here.

Man of Honour
So how did we survive 18 months ago when petrol was nearly £1? From 1999 to 2009 petrol went up 30 pence (1 Decade!). In the last 18 months it has gone up 30p. It doesn't take rocket science to see that something is really wrong here.

It doesnt take a rocket scientist to look at a historical petrol prices accurately either but you seem to have failed - your figures don't take into account the peak of 125p for petrol and almost 140p for diesel in 2008?

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;19096248 said:
It doesnt take a rocket scientist to look at a historical petrol prices accurately either but you seem to have failed - your figures don't take into account the peak of 125p for petrol and almost 140p for diesel in 2008?

Okay then say 2008 which in january was 104 so even still only a 30p rise over the 9 years. The same increase which has happened over the past 3 years.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
But since then:

a) Labour have increased duty by 8 pence
b) The pound has crashed against the dollar and the refusal by the BOE to raise interest rates because of all the people who stretched themselves into home ownership when they couldnt really afford it becuase of 0.5% interest rates means it isnt going much higher any time soon
c) The price of oil is $70 higher than it was in January 2009

Soldato
[TW]Fox;19096388 said:
But since then:

b) The pound has crashed against the dollar and the refusal by the BOE to raise interest rates because of all the people who stretched themselves into home ownership when they couldnt really afford it becuase of 0.5% interest rates means it isnt going much higher any time soon

I think this is also based on the fact that the uk needs to increase it's level of exports compared with imports.

On a biased level, with a variable rate mortgage, I really can't complain.

Soldato
He just takes things very black and white and literally.

He may not be far off, but as many of you no doubt appreciate regardless of your politics it is not as easy as just cutting off all that spending in one go without due reform. Which takes time.

I say you cut it all off at once, ship the criminals to an island somewhere, and you are sorted

Soldato
I say you cut it all off at once, ship the criminals to an island somewhere, and you are sorted

Of course! So easy, why didn't I think of that?

Cameron, click your fingers and make it happen.

Which island did you have in mind Rypt?

The funny thing is that Rypt's plan is historically proven to work lol, not applicable in this day and age though.

Back
Top Bottom