RE: My super machine. Pics included.

Don
would that be crossfire in x16/x16/x8, or are some of those lanes used up elsewhere (like for USB3)

if he did x8/x8/x8 (which would not bottleneck performance in any way) surely there would be room for an x1 soundcard (PCIe lanes wise)
It's the way the lanes are split up with the NF200 chip, there's 16 available from the CPU, 16 from the NF200 and then x8 from the chipset. The problem is the NF200 really takes x8 x8 from the CPU and converts it to x16 and x16 to two of the PCI-E slots only, leaving only the x8 from the chipset for the 3rd card. This leaves nothing else for anyother PCI-E slots, the board might be able to split that last x8 to x4 for a 3rd GPU and leave 4 lanes for other stuff but it's not mentioned, plus performance wouldn't be that great.

Associate
OP
Yeah, after looking it's only possible to have the 3 GTX cards because they take up 2 slots. The gap between 3rd and 4th is to allow for the 3. 1 slot will go unused.

No worries though.

Build is about 50% complete. Sent the GF to the shop for some thermal compound I somehow misplaced it.

Associate
Go water-cooling with full cover blocks which only take up one slot each?

Bit of a faff to set up but then you can put a sound card in and not have the noise of the fans on the cards.

Just a thought.

Associate
Designer and video editor. Then you should've got a dual socket motherboard surely and be running two CPUs with tons of RAM, three graphics cards and a stock speed processor wont see your video's rendering any faster than a £900 i7 2600k rig?

Each to their own and all I appreciate that, I spent a hurrendous amount when I first bought I just don't understand the reasoning for the equipment here?

Associate
OP
Go water-cooling with full cover blocks which only take up one slot each?

Bit of a faff to set up but then you can put a sound card in and not have the noise of the fans on the cards.

Just a thought.

580's take up 2 slots. No issue though I got an external card.

Designer and video editor. Then you should've got a dual socket motherboard surely and be running two CPUs with tons of RAM, three graphics cards and a stock speed processor wont see your video's rendering any faster than a £900 i7 2600k rig?

Each to their own and all I appreciate that, I spent a hurrendous amount when I first bought I just don't understand the reasoning for the equipment here?

Video editing is just Youtube stuff. Design stuff is anything from websites to high DPI work.

I work from home, but the majority of my business is Internet Marketing, thats where the design comes into play. I earn a lot, I spend a lot.

I've never been able to play games at the higher end of the spectrum, I've been stuck with the 360 and PS3. So I built a big machine that can be used for a lot of things.

There are 2 bits of Internet Marketing software I use that are CPU and RAM intensive. The more CPU and RAM the more processes I can run, and the quicker my job gets done.

So, basically it's an alrounder.

looks good, but in my opinion i wouldn't spend that much, as by next year it will be outdated

The high income means I can build bigger systems when needed.

This is the first system I've actually built. Crazy to spend that money on a first system I know, but I'm not new to computers. I have a 2:1 in Software Engineering and have sat on them since birth.

All went well :D Just need to install the water now.

Back
Top Bottom