12A Films.

Associate
Is it me, or do some of these seem a bit much for the rating?

I got back from watching Hanna last night, great film, but some scenes seem a bit too graphic for someone of that age.

I'm pretty sure Fast 5 and Battle: Los Angeles was too.

This isn't a rant because I dislike it when they tone down films/games. Just curious as to what people think?

Soldato
what was once an 18 is now a 15. What was a 15 is now a 12A, which means that children under 12 (the old 12 certificate having been abolished in cinemas) can see it if they are with someone deemed to be mature
lower’ the certificate, more money the studio is likely to make because the film is open to a larger audience + cut /written dumb/ down to suit+ more chavs throwing popcorn :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Well the 12A rating generally means you should scope it out first if you're bringing someone under the age of 12 to determine suitability. In practice people seem to treat it like the new PG and bring kids of all ages (not saying you did, but this is from what I can see).

Associate
The Amount of people that were playing Grand Theft Auto in my Primary school compared to this, is giving me the idea that film companies care about as much about what 12 year olds are exposed to as much as their parents.

Capodecina
Soldato
It's because what was once thought graphic and disturbing in the 80s is now thought of as pretty middle of the road.

Fright Night is a good example, and one I always cite. It was rated 18 in 1985, but watch it now, and it looks like it should be a 12. It looks very tame by today's standards. Ditto I Spit On Your Grave, The Last House on The Left etc etc. A lot of banned films have been brought back into daylight and a lot of films who were cut to ribbons by the censors have now had these cuts waived. This is because the bar is being continually raised with regards to extreme content in films. A lot of children these days would laugh at 'horror' of the 70s and 80s. The BBFC have therefore shuffled their ratings accordingly. It's called progress: whether you like this kind of 'progress' in cinema or not, what you would think of as disturbing when you were a child, your own kids would probably fall asleep to.

Last edited:
Associate
Death Star or Mount Doom, it depends on the day.
what was once an 18 is now a 15. What was a 15 is now a 12A, which means that children under 12 (the old 12 certificate having been abolished in cinemas) can see it if they are with someone deemed to be mature
lower’ the certificate, more money the studio is likely to make because the film is open to a larger audience + cut /written dumb/ down to suit+ more chavs throwing popcorn :(

So whats an 18? Soldier Blue is one violent film. Anyone seen it???

Last edited:
Soldato
I also noticed yesterday when I went to see Priest that pretty much 95% of the films on show were also 12A rated. Made me chuckle.

It's the new golden target for ratings in to pull in the dosh.

Soldato
Our desensitization to violence is the key, here. 12A films rarely, if ever, show any bloodshed. The difference between that and a 15 is usually down to swearing and actual on screen bloodshed.

I've met a few people who rate films from the BBFC and believe me when I say that they all come from very different walks of life. The job they do is very difficult and the group have to vote on the ratings that each member thing a film should have.

Back
Top Bottom