ex-mate demanding money with menaces - Help!

Associate
So, where to begin. Sorry for this.

My old mate of 20 years or so and I have had a bust up recently over various things - politics/ lifestyle/ attitudes to life - it was kind of coming for a while but came to a head a week ago and many, many nasty things said, etc.

The point is that a couple of years ago, when I was going through an almighty hideous divorce, was effectively homeless, skint, etc he was very kind and gave me a gift of a couple of thousand pounds to see me through a very rough patch indeed.

Now, in the last couple of days, following our bust-up, he's started referring to that cash as a debt - and not a gift and demanding it. Of course my intention has always been to return the favour as soon as my own meagre finances will allow, but, with the recent bust-up he's taken it upon himself to demand the money immediately and, in a most unpleasant manner, with couched threats of physical violence and downright unpleasantness with emails/ texts.

I wouldn't give two hoots about it were it not for the fact that he has a history of mental health problems - which over the years I have tried to assist him with to the best of my ability. He has a couple of good years and then a couple of real bad ones characterised by paranoia and psychosis during which time he has frightened his ex-partner and children, and the rest of us and during the last episode was even sectioned.

Recently he has taken to seeing 'Mr Potweed" increasingly more intensely than his casual flirtation has ever taken him and probably that had a lot to do with our bust-up.

The point is I'm not in a position to pay him any money at the moment - i will be in a matter of months but the question is do I put up with almost daily threatening emails and texts? or do I take a stand against him now.
How to distract his obvious focus on me for a target of his gathering psychosis.

Or do I get the authorities involved or what? I'm at a loss.

Obviously I know I should have thought twice about borrowing off an 'edgy' friend in the first place but I was desperately poor, desperately unhappy and I have known him for over 20 years; I'd lost my home, my kids and my business during the divorce and he was a beacon of hope in the form of a couple of grand to get started again - something, incidentally, that i will always be grateful to him for.

Practical answers only please, on a post-card. Mindless "Be afraid, be very afraid" Comments keep to your own internal mail system because I already am.

GeX

GeX

Soldato
Tell him that you intend to pay him back, but that you won't discuss any terms when threats are being thrown around. If the threats don't stop then tell him he's forcing you to report him to the police, which may mean he never sees the money.. as legally, there's no way to force you to pay it back.

Soldato
This must have been one serious bust up. Is there no way you can go about sorting things out between you?

Invite him out somewhere to talk about it.

Soldato
Nasty one mate. As Ahleckz said the Police may be the only recourse. Perhaps tell your old mate that you will indeed pay him back as and when you can, but in the mean time GTFO or you'll call the cops? If he don't like that he can go fish for his cash... Or is he beyond reason?

Soldato
Sad state your in if you were that friendly for such a "gift" to now being at the blunt end of threats!

Surely there's nothing he can legally do since he gave you the money so get the law involved?

Soldato
On a serious note which you clearly want if has serious mental issues the I would report to police and his last point of contact with who he got help from last time,

In the long maybe long long run he will thank you , at worst it will save you from him

Soldato
On a serious note which you clearly want if has serious mental issues the I would report to police and his last point of contact with who he got help from last time,

In the long maybe long long run he will thank you , at worst it will save you from him

Associate
OP
The money was a gift and he made a point of stressing that at the time - I remember telling him that I had no idea when or even if I would be able to give him anything in return.
The point is I will - as soon as I can - but in the mean time his reason has become rather fragile and he's now just basically angling for a fight - which is very upsetting.

I lost my father to cancer only a month ago. The world has gone rather spectacularly and yet equally very subtly, completely t**ts up with this latest blow.

How do I get him off my back until I can give him the money and be done with it. I'm pretty heartbroken that the friendship has ended - especially with what we've endured over the years - but I can't face the nightmare of having a basically psychotic bloke breathing down my neck.

Soldato
Never lend money to friends, simple rule.

He may of always seen it as a loan, but may not of wanted to say anything to you ie asking for it back whilst you were friends in case it upset you.

You may of thought of it as a gift and that's all.

Soldato
The money was a gift and he made a point of stressing that at the time - I remember telling him that I had no idea when or even if I would be able to give him anything in return.
The point is I will - as soon as I can - but in the mean time his reason has become rather fragile and he's now just basically angling for a fight - which is very upsetting.

I lost my father to cancer only a month ago. The world has gone rather spectacularly and yet equally very subtly, completely t**ts up with this latest blow.

How do I get him off my back until I can give him the money and be done with it. I'm pretty heartbroken that the friendship has ended - especially with what we've endured over the years - but I can't face the nightmare of having a basically psychotic bloke breathing down my neck.
In that's case as sick as it maybe pay the emotional blackmail card with him to buy sometime. A mate of 20 years must have known your dad fairly well ? Maybe a angle to use there to bide some time. I know these may seem obvious things sometimes the obvious is forgotten. Genuine bad times for you and your friend I feel for you both :(

Associate
Come on for god sakes quit the jokes,it clear OP is having a bad time he lost his dad 4 weeks and fallen out with a mate of 20 years and your cracking **** joke like that :rolleyes:

EDIT oops maybeI was wrong I'll leave it on errr just to prove I'm a plank:o

Appropriate username is appropriate.

Soldato
Hey give me credit I could have easily done a ninja edit ,good to see OP still has a sense of humour all though he say in his OP leave the jokes out of it ...... That's my defence and I'm staying with it , as useless as it is

Back
Top Bottom