ex-mate demanding money with menaces - Help!

Soldato
Hey give me credit I could have easily done a ninja edit ,good to see OP still has a sense of humour all though he say in his OP leave the jokes out of it ...... That's my defence and I'm staying with it , as useless as it is

I intentionally quoted to make sure :D

Sit down in the pub over a pint and sort out your differences, 20 year friendships shouldnt be thrown away like that.

I agree with this!

Associate
OP
Hey give me credit I could have easily done a ninja edit ,good to see OP still has a sense of humour all though he say in his OP leave the jokes out of it ...... That's my defence and I'm staying with it , as useless as it is

Thanks for all the advice, guys.
It's a hideous situation to find oneself in but a little humour here and there has a calming effect on what otherwise would be too hideous.

I know I've got the police route if it comes to it - and I sincerely hope it needn't do - and I've got the "Well, we were mates for twenty years - give us a bit of time" route too.

Thanks for all responses - be they intensely useful or, almost but not quite as importantly; frivolous and fun.
Cheers.

Soldato
Depends how bad the threats are towards you, if they are effecting you a lot then do contact police telling them he has mental problems and you are very worried about it.

If they aren't effecting you so much then i suggest meeting him in a public place like a pub/bar/coffee shop or so where you can discuss the outcomes of it, letting him know where he stands and tell him that his threats need to stop.(if this leads to nothing then tell the police obviously)

Associate
OP
call his bluff, say something about his momma

...and with that the OP knew he'd had the cream of the advice he was going to get on the issue that night and that the serious part of the thread was probably over now...

However, he found he had cheered up considerably - which was nice.

Soldato
I'd hope that you have some form of proof of these threats. Would help you a lot if it gas to be followed up by the police at all.

Associate
OP
Pint of squash?

I agree that 20 year friendships should not be broken down like this, will he agree to at least a conversation about the problems?

Absolutely - I'm going to let a couple of days go by and then make an approach.

I'd hope that you have some form of proof of these threats. Would help you a lot if it gas to be followed up by the police at all.

Email and Texts.
Hopefully it won't be needed.

Soldato
Might be hard but don't admit to any form of debt to him, this includes coming to some arrangement on stage payments, as soon as you do this you are accepting liability for the debt. If you have any inkling to pay it back, rather then pay him in instalments save it up and give him it one go.

Soldato
You took money off a mentally ill guy and now he wants it back. This would make a great movie if it has a gory ending.

*gets pop corn*

On a serious note - Go have a chat with the police.

Soldato
I haven't read the responses but two things

1) its not a gift, and the law will see it that way. If you go to the fuzz and he goes to small claims you'll likely lose and it'll cost you a lot more.

2) if you will have the money soon then get a 0% credit card, pay him, never speak again then pay the card off over the next 6/12/18 months

B@

Last edited:
Associate
I haven't read the responses but two things

1) its not a gift, and the law will see it that way. If you go to the fuzz and he goes to small claims you'll likely lose and it'll cost you a lot more.

Are you sure about that? In what way is it not a gift? If it isn't a gift, then what is it?

Without knowing the facts in full but on the basis of the information we've been provided with it sounds very much like a gift.

You have no legal obligation to repay him and given his behaviour I'd be very tempted not to in your situation.

Back
Top Bottom