• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i5 2500K overheating?

Associate
Hi,

I have a i5 2500K at stock, and it's giving me about 40C idle, and 87C under load (from OCCT Linpack), I have the Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 Pro Extreme Performance CPU Cooler on it, should the temps not be lower?

Associate
I agree with RJC, try remounting the cooler again. It might just be that one of the plastic
thumb screws is'nt applying enough pressure on the cooler. I had the same problem
when fitting my artic cooling freezer 13 pro when I changed motherboards.

Soldato
Definitely reseat as this is the most likely problem – be sure to follow the instructions – tightening the screws diagonally opposite from each other bit by bit.

What are your individual temps across the core?

Soldato
At the moment, 51, 51, 50, 49C.

High idle temps too.

Did the Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 come with pre applied paste?

If it did, and you didn't apply your own TIM, did you remember to take off the clear plastic protector from the base of the heatsink?

Associate
I've got an i5 overclocked to 4.4Ghz, it idles at mid to high 30s and maxes out under load in the mid 60s with a Corsair A50. I'd suggest following the advice to try reseating the cooler, as that's almost certainly the main problem. You can also help your temperatures by spending time optimising the airflow in your case by making sure your cables are tidy and out the way of the fans, making sure none of your fans oppose each others airflow etc. Tidying up the cables in my case dropped my CPU temperatures by a couple of degrees.

Associate
OP
Okay.

I removed the CPU cooler, scraped the thermal paste off the CPU with a tissue (there seemed to be still plenty on the heatsink), and reinstalled the cooler.

Idle: 33, 34, 33, 35
OCCT Linpack for an hour: 52, 55, 55, 53

Is this in line with what everyone else is getting, or should I be aiming further?

Soldato
If you want to compare, my temps last night when idle were

and on load (h264 encoding for an hour)

that's in an Antec 300 case with a CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ (single fan). Since it's a direct contact heatpipe I had to use more MX-4 than I normally would (tried just the "pea" sized blob but upon removing the heatsink to move cases it had hardly spread) - filled the channels between the pipes in, and then put three small lines running down the contact plate.

Back
Top Bottom