Too many motherboards avalible... Which do i choose for a WHS setup

Associate
I have noticed they're are loads and loads of motherboards avalible this year with a hefty amount of chipsets to choose upon.

I need to build a Windows Home Server 2011 setup.

I already have the following gear to go:

Case: Antec Sonata Elite: Supprots - Mini-ITX, microATX, Standard ATX
PSU: OCZ 500W ModXStream Pro Power Supply (It maybe for gaming and too powerful but it was cheap and has modular connections - I hate too many wires).

The primary services I require from it is:

Heavy File transfer
Use of Windows Homes Server Backup
Download Server
Print/scan Server (I have my all in one connected)
Small web-server/remote access
Media Server (PS3 Media Server, Windows Media Connect).

Minimum Specs:

Dual Core processor 2Ghz minimum (Intel - no AMD rubbish)
Intel Chipset is a must (but it must be reliable no SATA issues)
HDD Sata 6GB/s support with 6 SATA ports + (Intel 6Gb controller - not marvell)
Dual Channel memory 4Gb minumum (i can choose the ram not a problem)
Onboard graphics chip to support any media processing and windows server 2008's needs.
PCI Express x1 expansion slot.
UEFI for 2.5TB+ hard drive support.
HIGH ENERGY SAVING

I'm looking for a ASUS,Gigabyte or Intel MB. It must be around £50-£180

I've looked into the Z range chipsets but they seem to be aimed for gamers - comes with too much GPU elements but the improved SSD & HDD performance is a really big interest to me.

Can anybody advise me in which mb chipset would best support my needs? I am very weary about the sandybridge chipset/sata controller issue earlier in the year so im avoiding it at all costs.

Associate
Given your specification and needs I am wondering why you are going with WHS 2011. To be honest if you need WHS 2011 over v1 and aim to have 6 drives then you will need a decent PCI-E x4 or x8 RAID5 card otherwise the need for active data management balancing the drives will send you mad (WHS 2011 doesn't have drive extender).

I would never want a WHS box to do 3rd party transcoding and anything else you mention is quite frankly peanuts in terms of pushing a CPU as long as it has a decent network chip and enough ram.

I have have had a WHS box since v1 came out and for the last month I have run it with an Asus E350 MB with a passive HS, passive PSU, 4gb ram 7*2G WD enterprise disks, an x4 PCI-E card in a Fractal Design case. Totality quiet + cool and can maintain a 90%+ throughput on a 9k jumbo frame gigabit network.

I think the only chipset with more than two native 6gb SATA ports are for AMD chips

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom