New iMac refresh today?

Soldato
Call the waaaambulence. Or buy a Mini and buy whatever monitor you like.

Also, apparently the hard drives on these aren't replaceable now, something to do with them changing the SATA power connector pins and the cable itself doing the temperature regulation thing unlike older models. Can still add a second drive and boot off that if you want, but if the main one went kaput, you'd be stuck having to send it off if you wanted it replaced.

Associate
Coughed up for the higher end 21.5" last Sunday and bought an extra 8gb memory via crucial, must say I'm very pleased with it so far! it feels very snappy and never feels like its struggling, gaming isn't even that bad on it either, OK perhaps not able to run newest games at high detail but it plays Starcraft 2 on highest settings so that's good enough for me! :cool:

The screen is amazing and I'm liking the fact its 1080p it looks extremely sharp and the colours are so vivid, nice upgrade from my aging 20.5" dell monitor I had before.

Soldato
Just bought the 27" 2.7 for the family, total waste but there you go.

Love the quality of everything right down to the mouse. Apple now how to build kit!

Considering the quality of the display you seem to get a lot of kit for the money. It's also nice you can go down to your local PC World to pick one up without worrying you have paid over the odds.

Soldato
Coughed up for the higher end 21.5" last Sunday and bought an extra 8gb memory via crucial, must say I'm very pleased with it so far! it feels very snappy and never feels like its struggling, gaming isn't even that bad on it either, OK perhaps not able to run newest games at high detail but it plays Starcraft 2 on highest settings so that's good enough for me! :cool:

The screen is amazing and I'm liking the fact its 1080p it looks extremely sharp and the colours are so vivid, nice upgrade from my aging 20.5" dell monitor I had before.

How easy is this to do?

PS. I'm a Mac newbie. Don't own one, been "meh" about them for years but slowly coming around. Actually used Macs when that's all my secondary school had, like 12 years ago.

Soldato
Speaking of screens and w/e .. Cant the complainers just get a decent 24" screen and a MB Pro + one of those henge dock things?

How easy is this to do?

PS. I'm a Mac newbie. Don't own one, been "meh" about them for years but slowly coming around. Actually used Macs when that's all my secondary school had, like 12 years ago.

Easier then opening up and swapping RAM in a PC for a complete newbie, imo.

Soldato
I've seen a photo of a guy removing the screen to access the HDD. Same deal for the RAM? I'm guessing not.

Edit: Ah answered just now above.

PS. I've built plenty of normal PCs before. Just never owned or fiddled with a Mac.

Two screws on the base of the Imac, inside this compartment is the RAM slots :)

simple as that.

Soldato
I love the enthusiasm for the original imac! Used to think whole coloured thing was so cool... Quite miss the times when 15 inch 1024x768 was high resolution...

Anyway slightly off topic but can anyone remember if the referb store being emptied means anything good?

Permabanned
Anyway slightly off topic but can anyone remember if the referb store being emptied means anything good?

I think it's just a case of updating with more stuff becoming available.

There was a couple of 13" 2011 MBPs and 17" 2011 MBPs up there yesterday I noted. So it's probably just going to be more of the same.

Back
Top Bottom