Macbook Air first gen

Associate
Hi guys, recently inherited a first Gen macbook air, have a couple questions if you don't mind :)
Firstly, I have a 120gb hard drive, not sure if it is an SSD or HDD, were 120gb SSDs available with the first gen macbook air? Or is it definitely a HDD?

Also, how do I change the name of access point leading to documents and pictures etc? When you open finder, the name of the user? I can change the user name but cannot seem to change that.

Associate
I think to change the name, you will need to rename the folder in finder (or terminal if you use that), so for example change the folder:

/Users/foo to /Users/bar

Then go into system preferences - accounts and right click on the accounts on the left hand side, advanced options, then change the home directory to point to the new one. Also click on Login Options, and change automatic login to off, so you are able to choose the login user (check the NB at the bottom to ensure you can login).

Note I have only ever done this when upgrading to a SSD, ensure that you put the correct directory as if it is wrong you will not be able to login to that account.

N.B. I would make sure to make a new account before you do this, just so you can guarantee that you can login when you change it.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies everyone. That's weird, it accesses apps and loads OS X very fast, I thought it might of been an SSD, and I swear first gen airs had SSD? I remember it being advertised as the lowest SSD was 64gb. Maybe it is second gen? and Thanks for the guide Delphi, I'll try it out. Also Olly for the link, going there now :)

Associate
1st gen airs came with ssds as standard some way through their production run I believe.

Was that not the 2nd gen, which came out annoyingly soon after the 1st gen and also had a slightly better graphics chip? I believe the 1st gen ones came with either a sluggish 4,200 rpm HDD or a 64gb SSD

Associate
If you want to check if it is a SSD or HDD then you can go to "System Profiler" through spotlight, and under Serial-ATA there should be the device tree, click on the hard drive and it should say which 'medium type' it is (either saying Solid State or Rotational).

Back
Top Bottom