Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
Agreed, however the new R26 FW is an improvement, so if you haven't already got it installed pull the power on the hub for more than 30 seconds and plug it back in. Can take upto 5 minutes to upgrade mind.

To check if you have it, go to http://192.168.100.1/ then login and use the middle button "Super Hub Settings" and look at "Software Version: "V5.5.2RXX" at the bottom.

Associate
Had 50MB installed yesterday as an upgrade from 20MB. My speeds were always around 19.8 before so I was really happy.

However, my speeds now are no between 7-15MB depending on the time of day I test. It did creep to 22MB this morning but that's it.

I have checked the firmware on the superhub and it's R26. I have seen people say to turn off the hub firewall and flood protection but the option seems to be missing. Was it removed with the latest firmware?

Edit:

Found and disabled flood detection and the firewall, still slow speeds though. I just spoke to Virgin and they said I need an N series network card, would my G series not be ok as it is rated to 54Mbs?

Last edited:
Soldato
Had 50MB installed yesterday as an upgrade from 20MB. My speeds were always around 19.8 before so I was really happy.

However, my speeds now are no between 7-15MB depending on the time of day I test. It did creep to 22MB this morning but that's it.

I have checked the firmware on the superhub and it's R26. I have seen people say to turn off the hub firewall and flood protection but the option seems to be missing. Was it removed with the latest firmware?

Look under Services it's all still there. And it's Mb not MB :D
Do a speed test here http://www.speedtest.net/ and post what you get.

You will need a N card or dongle(I thought they gave you one free?)

Just saw your EDIT. Hard wire the super hub to test speed don't use wireless.

Associate

I just spoke to Virgin and they said I need an N series network card, would my G series not be ok as it is rated to 54Mbs?

They're right (for a change :p ). If you're downloading via a wireless G card then it'll bottleneck out at around 20mb, as you've discovered. WirelessN is the solution. It's probably worth checking your download speeds when hard wired with an ethernet cable though, just to be sure.

Associate
Look under Services it's all still there. And it's Mb not MB :D
Do a speed test here http://www.speedtest.net/ and post what you get.

You will need a N card or dongle(I thought they gave you one free?)

Just saw your EDIT. Hard wire the super hub to test speed don't use wireless.

They're right (for a change :p ). If you're downloading via a wireless G card then it'll bottleneck out at around 20mb, as you've discovered. WirelessN is the solution. It's probably worth checking your download speeds when hard wired with an ethernet cable though, just to be sure.

Thanks for the replies. I'm afraid it was ignorance on my part as I assumed my card would do the job. They didn't give me a dongle when they installed it but they are sending one out to me now.

My ethernet cable is too short to hard wire and my laptop is currently at a mates but it looks like the N adapter will solve the problem. Will hard wire my laptop and test when I pick it up at the weekend.

Soldato

Yep, I had the same thing when I went to 50mb, my laptop would max out at 20-21mb until I poped an N card in.
Cost me about £15 for one, now I get 50mb wired or wireless. :D

Back
Top Bottom