Silent DVD Drive?

Associate
Is there such thing as a silent DVD drive or even quiet?

Just build a new PC and i believe the loudest thing is the dvd drive

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks,
Paul

Soldato
Don't buy the Samsung SH-S223C/BEBE. Ignore the reviews, it's not quiet. I had the old version (203B) for my first build and that sounded like a jet, despite reviews saying it's quiet. Needed a new one recently so thought I'd risk it with the 223C as they might have fixed the noise issue, but they haven't.

I can't compare to other DVD RW drives because I haven't used any others. But I can say that my Samsung Blu-ray drive is silent in operation which was a huge surprise when I used it; at first I wasn't sure it was reading!

Soldato
Unlike Razor-BladE, I am currently using a Toshiba/Samsung CDDVDW SH-S223Q drive that I picked up for $28. I can't hear it over my fans, and my fans are quiet. I don't think I've ever noticed the thing spin up even when ripping CDs. But the PC is sitting next to my desk, not on top of it. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Commissario
I don't know if Pioneer still do them, but they used to make a range of "quiet" drives, that iirc had a casing intended to absorb more of the noise than normal, and firmware to limit the noise when doing various things.

I've no idea if they still make them, but for years they would have one in their range with the acoustic dampening etc (it usually cost a few pounds more than the normal versions).

Associate
What about using a program that controls the speed the disc spins?

SetCD or even something like Nero which used to have drive speed controls of some sort IIRC?

Soldato
Don't buy the Samsung SH-S223C/BEBE. Ignore the reviews, it's not quiet. I had the old version (203B) for my first build and that sounded like a jet, despite reviews saying it's quiet. Needed a new one recently so thought I'd risk it with the 223C as they might have fixed the noise issue, but they haven't.

I can't compare to other DVD RW drives because I haven't used any others. But I can say that my Samsung Blu-ray drive is silent in operation which was a huge surprise when I used it; at first I wasn't sure it was reading!

could have been a faulty drive.

i've had a few samsungs, all the same model.
one of them was really loud whenever a disc was inserted, but the others have been pretty quiet

Back
Top Bottom