Virgin Media superhub wireless frequently dropping out

Caporegime
Hi all

Since I've had 30Mb Virgin Media broadband, I've found that the wireless connection frequently (like two or three times per week) bricks, requiring a reset in order to bring back the wireless connection.

The wired connections is fine, rock solid, so it's not the internet connection that's at fault. There are three wireless devices with different NICs (one's a mobile phone) on the network and they all drop at the same time, so it's not a client issue either.

I'm going to contact VM of course, but first I'd like to be armed with some information...so has anyone else experienced this and managed to resolve it?

Thanks!

Caporegime
OP
Thanks guys. I have a WRT-54GL lying around doing nothing, problem being I wouldn't get 30Mb over wireless if I did that (more like 10Mb by the sounds of it). And I'm very reluctant to shell out on a new 'N' router since I've already paid VM £30 for this piece of junk.

This is a classic example of false economy by VM. Yes they've saved money by buying a budget wireless modem / router, but then they have the cost of all those man hours supporting all the resulting issues.

Associate
It's very possible. Buy a DIR615 (D2 or D4), flash it with DD-WRT firmware, connect its WAN port to any LAN port on the SuperHub and put the DIR615's IP in to the DMZ of the SuperHub, job done.

Soldato
Virgin media "super" (ha) hub wireless

Does anybody know when virgin are going to something about this - mine seems to have a range of about 3m and not outside the room it is in. Two older netgear routers are far superior and I have these connected to the crap-hub (a better more appropriate name) for wifi.

Is it going to be updated so it actually works?

Associate
Does anybody know when virgin are going to something about this - mine seems to have a range of about 3m and not outside the room it is in. Two older netgear routers are far superior and I have these connected to the crap-hub (a better more appropriate name) for wifi.

Is it going to be updated so it actually works?

Its been going on ages, i have one but i use another router, Give up and just get yourself a new router, there are 1000's of threads moaning about this all over the internet, once you have a new router you will be in the fast lane again.

Soldato
I don't use it for wifi - I just plugged my existing wireless router into the crap-hub and have left it like that. Set up crap hub but nothing ever finds it!

Associate
i have been told by a virgin engineer that in services with the super hub a few options need turning off for a better gaming experience :)
These are all found in the services tab
1.turn off firewall features
2.port scan detection
3.ip flood protection
not sure how true it is but it seemed to work for me i dont have issues with my ps headset or online gaming in general now .
I found doing this as well as putting my ps3 in dmz mode helped me , now i seem to kill more people in 1 on 1 situations more on kz3 .

Associate
I too have suffered badly fom this problem. I plugged my old 50mb modem in and it was running 20mb. Rang virgin who 'sent the signal' to put it backto 30, it didn't work! Plugged sh1tehub back in and not working either, sent signal again and that wouldn't work! Left me with no Internet until their IT department opens on Monday!

One very unhappy virgin customer.

Associate
Welcome to the superhub, ive posted exactally the same issues on here several times,
Still cannot fix it completely, but ive found changin ssid and network key fixes it for a few days.

I got tired doing this so wired up the house, a lot better now,

Associate
To use the superhub as a standard modem and have a router attached just go into the settings and under advanced at the bottom there is an option to switch it to modem mode.

I'm going to do this and go back to using my linksys router i had before they sent me this bucket of s***!

It's a netgear though so is to be expected as the reason i bought the linksys is the wireless routers virgin have provided in the past have all had the same problem and all have been netgear.

Back
Top Bottom