Virgin Superhub and adding a 2nd router.

Associate
Hi

Ive been searching for some help on this issue and decided to register here to see if anyone can help as cant see the answers to my questions anywhere, even on this forum.

Last week I had Virgins 50mb broadband installed upgraded from their 10mb version that I was previously on. When I was on the 10mb broadband I used my own belkin f5d8235-4 v2000 to allow me to connect wireless.

When I had the 50mb broadband installed I got Virgins superhub and dont need to use my belkin router anymore.

I also have a pc upstairs with a g wireless network card installed in it and its next to it is my playstation 3 which again connects wireless to the superhub. However as they both use g they do not get the full download speeds
of the 50mb broadband

The pc and the ps3 are in the same room but too far away from the superhub to make them wired.

Is there anyway I could use my belkin router to have a wired connection to both the ps3 and the pc upstairs and then allow the belkin router to access the superhub downstairs? Allowing me faster speeds than connecting wireless at g speeds? Also saving me paying for a n adaptor for the upstairs pc.

Hope that makes sense and someone can help as I have been searching around for 2 days to see if its possible and the only way I have seen people ask to do it is by connecting the 2 routers with a wired connection.

Thanks

Man of Honour
Yep you basically turn the router into a switch. If you go into the config page for the Belkin and switch off DHCP. You can then just run a single CAT5e cable from the VM Hub to the Belkin and then another cable from the Belkin to each device.

Ideally you would want to change the IP of the Belkin, for example if the Hub is 192.168.0.1 then make the Belkin 192.168.0.2. You will need to make sure the DHCP on the Hub starts at a higher range though, i.e from .3 upwards.

Its up to you whether you want to turn off the Wireless or not on the Belkin, may as well have it off if you're not going to use it.

Hope that makes sense.

Soldato
I got my superhub yesterday, I'm using my Linksys WRT54GL for wireless and so i can make use of Tomato firmware.

1298809259.png

I used the following:

"• Plug your cable router’s WAN port into any of the LAN ports on the Hub.

• Plug your PC into any Hub LAN port and access the management page. 192.168.0.1

• On the LAN IP page examine the DHCP lease info; you should see your PC and the second router. Note the MAC address of the router and add it to the DHCP reservation section and give the second router an IP address of say 192.168.0.10. (Use ipconfig/all in a cmd window to find the MAC address of your PC if your not sure which is which.)

• Now go to the DMZ host page on the Hub and enter the same IP address (e.g. 192.168.0.10). This means that the Hub will pass all traffic to the second router without any checks or filters.

• Turn off the second router and back on again, plug your PC into the second router, login and set the router’s login page to "Does your Internet connection require a login" to NO and then you should see the WAN or Internet as 192.168.0.10.

• You’re ready

• Don't forget to disable wireless on the Hub and use the wireless on the second router. It is also best to turn the firewall off on the Hub.

I also suggest your turn off flood protection under services if you have not already."

I'm able to forward ports and everything correctly, all is good.

Soldato
Hmmm, I am stuck waiting for the oft mooted new Superhub firmware with Bridge mode, as I cannot get my DIR-655 to play ball with the Superhub :(
Tried all manner of approaches, including the DMZ fix suggested above, but - quite simply - my DIR-655 will not show up to the Superhub when connected from it's WAN to a(ny) Superhub LAN port :mad:

Man of Honour
Thanks for the replies.

Is there anyway I can do it by not running a wire from the superhub to the belkin? i.e. do it wireless? Just its a bit far to put a cable in

Well you can but the speed will still be as slow as the wireless, so there isn't much point of doing it that way from your current set up.

Might be worth looking at home plugs instead. You can get a pair which has a switch built in, so you can connect up to four devices without cables or wireless.

Associate
OP
Well you can but the speed will still be as slow as the wireless, so there isn't much point of doing it that way from your current set up.

Even if the superhub and the belkin were 'n'?

the pc upstairs only has a 'g' wireless adaptor as does the ps3.

So superhub would transmit 'n' broadband and the belkin router would recieve the 'n' broadband and the pc and ps3 would be wired to the belkin router giving a faster connection than a 'g' wireless they have now.

Would it be faster than what it is now?

Soldato
Yes, it would.

If I'm understanding this correctly this is what you'd be proposing:

( upstairs network - ps3/pc )->belkin (wired) >> wireless bridge >> superhub->internet

If that's right, then yes you would be getting wireless-N speeds to the upstairs PS3 & PC. The Belkin would be operating purely as an access-point (AP), extending the wireless network that the SuperHub is providing.

What is connected to the SuperHub downstairs? Anything?

Associate
OP
Yes, it would.

If I'm understanding this correctly this is what you'd be proposing:

( upstairs network - ps3/pc )->belkin (wired) >> wireless bridge >> superhub->internet

If that's right, then yes you would be getting wireless-N speeds to the upstairs PS3 & PC. The Belkin would be operating purely as an access-point (AP), extending the wireless network that the SuperHub is providing.

What is connected to the SuperHub downstairs? Anything?

Yes thats exactly what I would be looking to do.

Downstairs I have the main pc wired to the superhub.

Man of Honour
The 'N' wireless will still be split between more than one device, so the speed difference with that vs individual G using their own wireless is going to be next to none? If only using one at a time then it would be a bit quicker.

Back
Top Bottom