Carbon Fibre Car Rig Bulk Buy?

Soldato
OP
They said the static deflection isnt actually the problem, its the amount of bounce once the car is rolling even at walking pace, which is reduced by 60% by like for like carbon fibre.

The price of the 40mm OD is only £50 more than the OP, so not massive, and hopefully ill be able to get some of that back in the rest of the rig kit.

Soldato
OP
Just a quick question,

There seems to be a gent called 'Andwhynot' selling a very similar Carbon rig too here: http://pistonheads.com/gassing/topi...pole+group+buy+-+discussion+thread&mid=251511

Is this the same person as thats offering the rig on this thread? What you think?

Thanks,

Cheers Laurens

Nope,

Nothing to do with my whatsoever. I'm making an aluminium test pole in the next week or so and negotiating with the manufacturer. Easter put a bit of a pause on things so bear with me:)

Tom.

Associate
Very interested in getting hold of a cf rig pole!

I'd certainly be interested in a full kit.

Been in touch with the company that made the cf pole
for the US photographer linked earlier in this thread.
It is exactly like i am looking for but the $1850 price
was a bit off putting!! Also would probably get stung for
import duty as well :mad:

Any sort of time scale on this buy??

Cheers,

Andy.

Soldato
Not sure how the quest for a decent pole is going but Richard Hammond's Engineering Connections is on TV at the mo and has just demonstrated how impressive CF is over metal alternatives.

Wonder if that F1 company want to make a load of poles for us. :D

Soldato
every thought of using a windsurf mast as the pole?

I used a windsurf mast today as a *very* brief trial.

Results seem promising. It's about 10ft long but it is THICK, so we had to secure it through the window, wedged in between the headrests. It was very solid.

At work just now so can't edit pics. It was also rolled on a pretty uneven surface so I'm not expecting great results, but a trip to a multi story car park in the next couple days should yield interesting results.

Whole set up cost me £12.

£10 on double clamp suction cups (not used)
£2 roll of duct tape :)

vgOnyl.jpg

Soldato
^LOL! Interesting ;)

I certainly wouldn't look forward to getting those pics back on the computer....quite a lot of PP work needed!

Like I said I've got the suction cups ready to go, just need a trip to screwfix for mounts!

It's only really the top of the window and round the mirror which needs touched up, it's actually not as bad as I was expecting... :)

EDIT: Dan, just had a look through your blog, very nice work in there mate. Well done!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom