what do these engine terms mean?

Associate
DOHC (direct overhead cam)
Common rail Diesel
Twin cam

Also, how does a V5 unit work? becuase surely it would have 3 on one side, and 2 on the other?

If i think of more questions ill add them

cheerz

IZONEIZ

Associate
Messing with a Nd:YAG, DCM and a Raman Shifter
Overhead Cam
The cam shaft is dicectly above the valves and opens them directly - as opposed to a side cam where the motion is transmitted via followers, pushrods, and rockers

Common Rail Diesel
Errr - not sure (have a fair idea - but I'm sure someone will be along with the definative answer soon enough:))

Twin Cam
Just what it sounds like - Two cam shafts, typically part of the overhead cam design, one for inlet one for outlet - useful for higher numbers of valves per cylinder

:)

[edit] Missed the V5 bit

Your right it does have different numbers of cylinders in either bank - you balance the load by having an flywheel that if not symetrical, that way the engine is rotationaly balanced

[/edit]

Last edited:
Soldato
DOHC is double overhead Cam
Common rail diesel is the newer way to inject fuel into the cylinders
Twin cam...well there are two of them (so they only lift half the valves so they can,in theory spin faster while only doing half the work of a single cam.
V5 is a bit of a fudge, I think they are not true V engines, they will have a banencer shaft or similar to smooth out the enging

Soldato
Originally posted by PurDunamis
Overhead Cam
The cam shaft is dicectly above the valves and opens them directly - as opposed to a side cam where the motion is transmitted via followers, pushrods, and rockers

or as in almost all the big ford V8s still and other oldish engines,

the camshaft sat at the bottom of the engine (well it wasnt really a camshaft) and the pushrods went all the way up through the block to the top, then connected with linakges at the top

this was very clumsy, and you can imagine all the stress and force it took to push the ahem, push rods, a light spinning cam is much lighter, simpler

so this should kinda enlighten you as to how having a camshaft at the top is much simpler :)

Man of Honour
What is Common Rail?

A common rail engine is designed to supply constant fuel pressure to electronically controlled injectors through a shared fuel reservoir. This means that the fuel supply is not dependent on the engine revs. A common rail system is built around four basic components:

A high pressure pump with pressure regulator and inlet metering valve.
A rail which contains a pressurised reserve of fuel.
Injectors which inject precise amounts of fuel into the combustion chamber as required.
A Diesel Control Unit – the ‘brain’ of the system, which precisely controls injector flow and timing as well as rail pressure while continuously monitoring the operating conditions of the engine.
Benefits of Common Rail:

Accomodates all planned emissions legislation
Opportunity for pre-injection and post-injection
Modular system
Compact
Full electronic control
Fuel Economy
Enhanced reliability and performance
Cover’s a variety of vehicle applications.

Taken from:
http://www.delphidieselsystems.com/diesel/uk/UKDDSproductitems5940.asp

Soldato
Some useless did u know info: Did u know that it is impossible to totally balance a 4cyl inline engine? Can't rememebr why, did it in dynamics a few yrs ago. 3cyl, 5cyl, 6cyl etc. can be balanced totally tho'

Soldato
Originally posted by izoneiz
DOHC (direct overhead cam)
Common rail Diesel
Twin cam

Also, how does a V5 unit work? becuase surely it would have 3 on one side, and 2 on the other?

If i think of more questions ill add them

cheerz

IZONEIZ

DOHC = Double Overhead Cam = Twin Cam. Two cams, located in the head are used to control the valves, one cam is used for exhaust valves, the other for inlet valves.

Yes, a V5 would have 3 and 2 cylinders per bank. I imagine that VW have to use a balancer shaft to get the engine as smooth as it is reputed to be.

The "Common rail" system is more like a multipoint injection system on a petrol engined car, although the fuel is injected directly into the cylinder rather than the intake manifold. Previous systems used mechanical injectors that were all fed independantly from a mechanical/electro-mechanical pump and distributor.

Soldato
Re: Re: what do these engine terms mean?

Originally posted by Dogbreath

Yes, a V5 would have 3 and 2 cylinders per bank. I imagine that VW have to use a balancer shaft to get the engine as smooth as it is reputed to be.

Do VW do a V5 engine then? I know they do a 5V which is actually a 20Valve 4 cylinder unit.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Yup they do a V5 engine.

Its in the Golf V5 (model down from the 4motion), Bora and Beetle.

As said , common rail diesel I always thoguht meant that the fuel rail was under constant high pressure and directly injected into cylinder, rather than swirl pot.

the high pressure causes the fuel to be injected in a better way, think of it as spitting water out of your mouth. If you just kind of open your mouth , the water just runs out in a big lump as such, if you put your lips together and really push it out with some pressure it comes out as a fine spray, which in an engine will combust easier.

Dunno if that sounds right, couldnt think how to put it into words, been a long weekend :).

Soldato
Originally posted by Ev0
Yup they do a V5 engine.

Although of course, it's not really a proper V engine as the con rods of adjacent cylinders do not share a common crank journal.
As said , common rail diesel I always thoguht meant that the fuel rail was under constant high pressure and directly injected into cylinder, rather than swirl pot.

A swirl pot is something completely different. It is used mainly on cooling systems to ensure any air bubbles in the coolant are removed. It is occaisionaly used on a fuel system for a similar reason, but only ever on the low pressure side of system, i.e. a lift pump will pump fuel into the swirl pot, and then the high pressure pump will deliver the fuel to the fuel rail.

the high pressure causes the fuel to be injected in a better way, think of it as spitting water out of your mouth. If you just kind of open your mouth , the water just runs out in a big lump as such, if you put your lips together and really push it out with some pressure it comes out as a fine spray, which in an engine will combust easier.

The fuel HAS to be injected at very high pressure on a diesel system, irrespective of wether it uses a convetional or common rail system, because the fuel is directly injected into the cylinder, which is at high pressure to start with (due to high CR). A diesel injection system may have peak pressures of 20,000 PSI, a typical petrol injection system runs at around 30-45 PSI.

Back
Top Bottom