Best homeplugs for £65?

Soldato
OP
Terrible terrible things, cause all kinds of interference and should be banned and made illegal :mad:

LOL let me guess a ham radio enthusiast?

In all seriousness though I have heard they can cause interference, especially the gigabit ones. Intersetingly there was an article online yesterday about gchq commenting on them. I think if they worked togetehr to develop the standards further they could reduce it.

Soldato
OP
Thanks matey for that, i will be using one pair for my xbox live connection with the router being upstairs and the xbox being downatairs. Will i notice any performance decrease do you think on live? I was also thinking of using another pair from my bedroom upstairs to my other bedroom also located upstairs to hook up my desktop for online gaming. I could easily run an ethernet cable upstairs from room to room but it looks messy and i guess im just being lazy as i could disconnect it and connect it as i use it :)

Yeah just stick one by the router and then get another 3 and place them wherever and you should be ok I think. Never gone above 2 so can't really comment. To reduce any problems though get 4 of the same make/model.

I was using 85mbps ones for my xbox live and it was night and day better than wireless. 4x 200mbps shouldn't set you back much. Make sure that where you get them from has a good returns policy though just in case you don't get on with them.

Soldato
Will do mate thanks so much for your input, i have heard solwise ones i think they are called seem to have good reviews from what i have read pretty much plug and play and at £35 a pair a good price to

Soldato
What solwise plugs did you get welshdragon? I was thinking about paying a little bit more for the 200mb pair. Is the speed of the actual plugs the maxium they can support so to speak? So an 85mb pair will only support a max speed of 85mb? With a broadband speed of only 3mb would i really need 200mb plugs do you think?

Sorry if i find myself repeating myself just a little confused with the speed of the plugs to the speed of my broadband

Soldato
OP
I bought the gigabit ones, £65 a pair to give them a bash. If their no good will get the 200mbps ones (the gigabit ones use a different tech hence if they don't work tidy the 200meg av ones should).

If all your doing is sharing the internet out then the 85mps ones should be fine. However, if later you decide to say, stream a movie from your pc to your xbox or something then you would benfit from the higher speed ones.

Thats the reason I've gone for the gigabit ones to stream hd movies to my htpc in the living room and share my 50meg connection out.

People have said good things about the tp-link ones mind, currently on offer on ocuk. You could get 4 200mbps ones for £80.

Last edited:
Soldato
The TP-Link ones look ok actually good price as well for a pair

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=NW-032-TP&groupid=46&catid=1604&subcat=

I think i will just got 1 pair for now to connect up my xbox as i can deal with a messy ethernet cable running across my upstairs hallway between the 2 bedrooms for my desktop connection.

One final thing tho do you reckon these plugs use that much electric? An ethernet cable wont use anything will it being plugged from a router to a machine but via homeplugs im sure my electric bill may well shoot up

Commissario
LOL let me guess a ham radio enthusiast?

In all seriousness though I have heard they can cause interference, especially the gigabit ones. Intersetingly there was an article online yesterday about gchq commenting on them. I think if they worked togetehr to develop the standards further they could reduce it.

Yes.

Awful things, I've first hand experience of the trouble they cause. With the saturation effect from them it's not going to be long before there are deaths attributed to them and then maybe people will accept that it's not just beardy radio hams who are affected.

Sorry for the OTness, I felt I had to interject.

Associate
I have belkin gigabit homeplugs and I can achieve about 15 MB/s sustained transfer over a gigabit network with them. Don't know how good that is compared to other gigabit homeplugs but its certainly very usable and good enough to stream HD content. I guess it has a lot to do with your electrics as well.

Soldato
OP
Yes.

Awful things, I've first hand experience of the trouble they cause. With the saturation effect from them it's not going to be long before there are deaths attributed to them and then maybe people will accept that it's not just beardy radio hams who are affected.

Sorry for the OTness, I felt I had to interject.

Fair point though mate. I think the greatest cause for concern is that they interfere with the same frequencies the miltary use? Might be wrong though.

I have belkin gigabit homeplugs and I can achieve about 15 MB/s sustained transfer over a gigabit network with them. Don't know how good that is compared to other gigabit homeplugs but its certainly very usable and good enough to stream HD content. I guess it has a lot to do with your electrics as well.

Sounds good mate. As long as I can do that I'll be happy. Will be gutted if my movies stutter after this upgrade, though I think my DS210J should be capable of streaming hd content....

Soldato
OP
From the tp link website for those plugs:

Reduces Power Consumption Up to 65%
The TL-PA211, a new-generation Powerline Adapter, with its practical design and sophisticated Power-Saving Mode consumes less power when compared with existing Powerline Adapters. When there is no data transmission or reception occurs over a certain period of time, it will automatically switch from its regular "Working" Mode to "Power-Saving" Mode that will reduce its energy consumption by up to 65%*.
*Actual data will vary because of the network conditions and environmental factors

On the spec sheet it says <3w which I imagine will be at full tilt. Power consumption will be negligable mate.

Soldato
OP
You got your Solwise kit yet welshdragon?

Now arrived and they are awesome. You just plug and play. INsturctions are minimalist but adequate.

Really happy. Keeps alternating between blue light (>100) and green (<100)

All my movies now stream super quick including my 8gb hd files, yay

Anyone know what utils to monitor/test throughput are available?

Associate
Now arrived and they are awesome. You just plug and play. INsturctions are minimalist but adequate.

Got mine too now, using both plugs in fully filled 4-way extensions I'm getting about 2-3 MB/s which also seems fine for hd streaming, yay x2

Soldato

Can you post/email a link to where you got them from?

Back
Top Bottom