I have to share the news!!

Associate
I simply have to tell someone that would understand!

About a year and a half ago my old MBP died. The fault was the old 8800gt 2007 problem. The thing would not boot up, black screen etc.. The warranty was void and i would have to replace the logic board so i just bought another mac.

Now year and a half on i noticed the baking macbook videos on youtube. Thought i would give it a go as it was a paper weight.

It alive!!!!

My word. Put the old HHD back in. Its weird, its like a time capsule. lol.

Thought id shout about it!

Soldato
The laptop was in terrible shape plus i had voided the warranty changing the hard drive. Because the warranty was void they would not touch it.

Owww :( I thought on the macbooks usually they let you change the hard drive as a user replacement

Still yay for it being back from the dead

Associate
Epic. I was reflowing my 8800 pcie card for months before it failed fully.
Prepare it to run without the screen so it remains a useful headless server when the gfx disappears again!

Soldato
Got to love it when stuff magically comes back to life. Wish the same could be said of my current motherboard! Do I buy another socket 775 mobo just for a month over the summer (then selling the lot - I probably will).

Make sure it goes out with a bang :)

Associate
It is not the Unibody mac. It was the older powerbook style.

Remove the top lid = Void.

The oven trick is funny but seems a bit of a hack. Having just come from the genius bar they are replacing mine for free dude. I have changed the harddrive aswell! It says on the website within 4 years, but the guy said Apple wont really kick-up a fuss about it if the MB is over 4 years old, after-all it's nVidia who foot the bill.

Hope your baked MBP lasts out though.

Associate
It is not the Unibody mac. It was the older powerbook style.

Remove the top lid = Void.

I had the same problem with my old MBP. It was a 2007 or 2008 model (not sure, but it is probably the same as yours) and it had the famous 8600gt GPU problem. The time it failed on me, I had already upgraded the HDD by myself. I brought it in the apple store and viola, they replaced the logic board :) And my MBP was totally out of shape, has signs of fall/dents on corners. Just bring it to your local apple store.

Associate
You don't void the warranty doing upgrades on apple's. It's a common misconception. Read the warranty legal docs. All the you void is the warranty on anything you break doing the upgrade.

Associate
My MBP 2007 died last week as well due to the Nvidia 8600 chip problem, took it straight to the apple store and was fixed for free:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2377

I had also changed the Hard drive and RAM and told the genius and he said this would not be a issue. As long as you have not taken a sledge hammer to it take it to the apple store.

Back
Top Bottom