10MB File Size Max in Emails

Soldato
Hey all,

We have to send manuals out to our completed projects at work, and many have recently asked for them in digital format (PDFs etc.).

All the manuals usually total up to around 20MB - However, in one of our recent projects one PDF is 15MB in size.

The company we have to send to have said that the email address we have been asked to send the files to has a maximum 10MB limit in file size...

I thought that it was crazy for such a small limit and slightly unprofessional... Does anyone have any expertise in this level? Is this the norm in big companies? And how would you get round this? I have said we will have to put the manuals onto a disc and send it via post - It just seems ridiculous that we are this technologically advanced, but can't send a small 20MB file over email...

Having to do this feels like sending a letter via carrier pigeon :p

Marky

daz

daz

Soldato
Sending large email attachments is pretty annoying - I'd recommend uploading to an FTP or web server and then sending across a link with a user/password for them to access.

Soldato
OP
I have thought about this - but we don't have access to our web server (Another IT firm deal with it). So it would have to be a free file sharing site which will get the client all confused when it comes to the 60 second wait etc.

Soldato
10mb is about right for most big companys. I know at my work we have 10mb rule for external emails 100mb for internal. Else it just gets too much on the system/internet.

Soldato
Its 8mb in our workplace and the 5-20mb range seems fairly common. We occasionally users who like to send attachments to everyone instead of posting links to the document on the intranet, when the attachment is 7mb and it goes to 1000 users it soon eats up server space.

Associate
Our outgoing emails are restricted to under 4mb, if they are over they get delayed and routed overnight, or get manually pushed by me.
Anything 20mb or over will not get sent.

But I dont think we have a limit on incoming

Soldato
Email is NOT the correct method for sending large files around - it was never designed for that.
With all the chopping up and reassembly it's quite easy for large attachments to be damaged etc.

We have a 10mb limit on incoming file attachments and that really is as large as I like to see.

Associate
Large email attachments are evil! So many reasons not to do it.

10mb-20mb is perfectly normal, it may seem small but imagine a company with 40,000 employees...

I'd avoid any of the free file sharing sites but Dropbox is probably a good bet.

Soldato
10MB file attachment sounds about right, as already stated sending large files via email is not a good thing.

Before you use a third party service check if you client has any webspace that you can upload the files onto.

Back
Top Bottom