Steak cooking advice

Soldato
Hi guys, i've got a lovely big fat piece of Rib Eye from the butchers. I usually use a griddle pan to cook it. I do all the usual things like getting the pan really hot and getting the steak to room temp first but I'm unsure on what to put on the steak beforehand? I often use salt and black pepper and rub a bit of oil into the steak too, however i'm thinking I can perhaps dispense with the oil? Any tips on how to 'prep' a steak?

Man of Honour
Yep, I also like really thick steaks. Good few inches. So can get a really caramelised outside, while the middle remains nice and rare.

Caporegime
I prefer a flat heavy-based pan to a griddle pan. Reason being you get charring all over the outside rather than only in lines. Imo this improves the flavour.

The only other thing I'd say is to absolutely cover it in salt a couple of hours before cooking, a la: http://steamykitchen.com/163-how-to-turn-cheap-choice-steaks-into-gucci-prime-steaks.html. I like this method as it improves the crust and the flavour in general. However you may not want to risk experimenting too much on your nice ribeye. Maybe try it for the first time on a cheaper cut.

Soldato
I personally wouldn't do the salting as it would draw the moisture from the steak, and that is exactly the opposite thing you want to do. I know for a fact they do not do this in either Goodmans or Hawksmoor in London; and I would trust their judgement tbh ;)

Personally I would marinate in olive oil, bit of garlic, rosemary & Thyme for a couple of hours, then follow your normal steps above. I also always use a griddle as I like the patterns :)

Soldato
OP
I prefer a flat heavy-based pan to a griddle pan. Reason being you get charring all over the outside rather than only in lines. Imo this improves the flavour.
I used to do this but just seemed to end up with loads of smoke and too much 'charring' for my tastes. I'll perhaps give it another go at some point though.

The only other thing I'd say is to absolutely cover it in salt a couple of hours before cooking, a la: http://steamykitchen.com/163-how-to-turn-cheap-choice-steaks-into-gucci-prime-steaks.html. I like this method as it improves the crust and the flavour in general. However you may not want to risk experimenting too much on your nice ribeye. Maybe try it for the first time on a cheaper cut.
That looks an interesting method, might have to try that tonight, thanks!

I personally wouldn't do the salting as it would draw the moisture from the steak, and that is exactly the opposite thing you want to do. I know for a fact they do not do this in either Goodmans or Hawksmoor in London; and I would trust their judgement tbh ;)
Ohhh but controversy! Perhaps it should be a job for another time with a piece of rump or something...

Soldato
Ohhh but controversy! Perhaps it should be a job for another time with a piece of rump or something...

I just wouldn't do it. It seems counter intuitive. Have a look at my rib of beef in the picture sticky. It was done the way I suggest you do yours. How thick is your Rib Eye? How many 'fingers' thick?

Caporegime
I personally wouldn't do the salting as it would draw the moisture from the steak, and that is exactly the opposite thing you want to do.

No it isn't, fundamental misunderstanding there. Drawing water out concentrates the flavours, it doesn't make it dry. The meat's natural juices are retained and broken down during the cooking process...this is what gives the steak its juiciness, not the water ;).

Go and try some properly aged beef (hardly any water in it) and tell me that the lack of water has made it taste crap.

I'm not saying that the method is god's gift to steak cooking, just that you haven't understood what's going on in the method.

Soldato
OP
I just wouldn't do it. It seems counter intuitive. Have a look at my rib of beef in the picture sticky. It was done the way I suggest you do yours. How thick is your Rib Eye? How many 'fingers' thick?

Probably slightly over an inch by the looks of it. Your rib of beef looks epic.

Soldato
No it isn't, fundamental misunderstanding there. Drawing water out concentrates the flavours, it doesn't make it dry. The meat's natural juices are retained and broken down during the cooking process...this is what gives the steak its juiciness, not the water ;).

Go and try some properly aged beef (hardly any water in it) and tell me that the lack of water has made it taste crap.

I'm not saying that the method is god's gift to steak cooking, just that you haven't understood what's going on in the method.

All I know is that the best steak restaurants do not do this. I'm not interested in the science at all. As long as the meat comes from a good farm, been butchered and hung well for a good amount of time, I'm not going to be over salting it to 'concentrate' anything. The flavour is already there, and there is no need to concentrate anything. If I wanted to do that I'd make a demi-glace

Probably slightly over an inch by the looks of it. Your rib of beef looks epic.

White hot griddle, two mins on each side, rest for 10mins wrapped in foil (it will continue to cook). Take pics for tomorrow - Enjoy :)

Soldato
All I know is that the best steak restaurants do not do this. I'm not interested in the science at all. As long as the meat comes from a good farm, been butchered and hung well for a good amount of time, I'm not going to be over salting it to 'concentrate' anything. The flavour is already there, and there is no need to concentrate anything. If I wanted to do that I'd make a demi-glace

White hot griddle, two mins on each side, rest for 10mins wrapped in foil (it will continue to cook). Take pics for tomorrow - Enjoy :)

You just hit the nail on the head there though. The restaurants you are quoting are probably using well hung meat that doesn't need any extra loving. Of course Luseac might be too in which case he doesn't really need to try the salting method.

Not something I would think of doing but might consider it in the future for a cheapo meat that may not have been hung.

Soldato
look it does not really matter whether or not you salt the steak or not. The actual moisture drawn out by the salt is negligible, compared to its flavour enhancing qualities.

Steaks do not automatically turn into leather because you salt them, they turn into leather because you overcook them

Associate
I'm not sold on the salting idea.

I've been meaning to try it, but I was looking up burger recipes the other day and came across this.

Obviously I understand that ground beef does not equal whole steak, but I'd guess some of the principles transfer over.

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom