• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Removing a CPU stuck to a Heat sink

Associate
Hi guys. I've got a bit of a problem. I need to replace a motherboard in my PC. I've got a motherboard, and was going to put the old CPU, RAM, etc into it. The trouble is the CPU is stuck fast to the CPU cooler.

The problem is I can't put the CPU into the new MoBo unless I remove the cooler first.

Does anyone have any advice as to how to remove it? I've heard soaking it in Isopropyl Alcohol will dissolve the thermal paste. I've used Alcohol to remove thermal paste in the past, and it works a treat, but actually soaking the CPU will damage it won't it?

EDIT: Nevermind. My dad saw my trouble, said "I'll fix it", grabbed some pliers, gripped the CPU, and removed it. Breaking the thing in the process. :mad:

I've ordered a new CPU.

Though I'm sure other people would have had this problem in the future so if you know how to remove a stuck CPU then please still post.

Last edited:
Soldato
EDIT: Nevermind. My dad saw my trouble, said "I'll fix it", grabbed some pliers, gripped the CPU, and removed it. Breaking the thing in the process

:eek:

Normally if you just power up the system for a few minutes to heat the TIM, then power down again you should be able to get the heatsink off easy enough. Alternatively get a small screw driver and very gently go around all the edges slowly loosening it from all sides and it should come away eventually.

RJC

RJC

Don
If it was possible some people run there pc for half hour to warm the heatsink compound a little and this sometimes helps, or give the cooler a little twist side to side to also help, but obviously use some common sense when do this! :p :eek:

Soldato
Would have been better 'twisting' the CPU to remove it to reduce the change of breaking the CPU. That, or getting something like a screwdriver to lever it, but that is risking damaging the CPU and the HSF to be honest.

Hope it wasn't a pricey CPU!

Associate
I've never had this problem myself as before i remove the cpu i tend to have the system running a little to liquify the TIM.

Though be it a bit late now possible solutions to your issue would be to heat the heatsink up with a hair drier or could have tried to use IPA but rather than dunking both heat sink and cpu into a bath of it. You could have tried to carefully got it into the gap between the cpu/hs.

Soldato
Twist it left and right in small increments and it should loosen up and let go on the heatsink, had to do this for a mate of mine today as i've just fitted a watercooler.

Associate
I had this problem while removing the stock cooler from my CPU. I accidentally ripped the cooler with the CPU stuck to it from the socket (AMD CPU). Luckily no pins were bent at all and I used a hair dryer to blow through the heatsink. I then twisted the heatsink until it came free.

Associate
EDIT: Nevermind. My dad saw my trouble, said "I'll fix it", grabbed some pliers, gripped the CPU, and removed it. Breaking the thing in the process. :mad:

OMG.gif

Soldato
I had this problem while removing the stock cooler from my CPU. I accidentally ripped the cooler with the CPU stuck to it from the socket (AMD CPU). Luckily no pins were bent at all and I used a hair dryer to blow through the heatsink. I then twisted the heatsink until it came free.

I done exactly the same thing with mine :p (amd as well). Hair dryer for me as well to free it.

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the great replies. A problem with the MoBo stopped it from powering up properly (it crashed after a minute) so i couldn't let it run. Whoever installed the cooler used thermal paste like it was going out of style so it was firmly cemented to it.

Associate

Same thing happened to me. Pulled the cooler off to see an empty socket and wondering where my cpu was. Actually took me a while to figure out it was still attached :o

Back
Top Bottom