Thinking of getting Witcher 2, Do I need to play the first?

Soldato
Im thinking of getting the Witcher 2 but im wondering how lost will I be if I jump straight into it?

Is it a game that really benifits from you to knowing the backstory of the first or should I quite easily follow it?

Soldato
No, you really don't, there are a few references to past events and people but it's nothing that will make the main story incomprehensible.

Hell just read the wiki page plot synopsis.

Associate
I bought and played the first instalment of The Witcher when it was released. Lasted all of 20 minutes before I gave up

The voice acting was so unbelievably crass I just couldn't continue.

Wanted to like it but it really was bad. Really really bad.

Soldato
The voice acting was so unbelievably crass I just couldn't continue.

I know how you feel, but i managed to stick with it. Paid off in the end as it really is a very good game. I agree that the voice acting and translation is cringeworthy sometimes though.

This has been asked a lot recently, and as i have said in other threads, Like Fenris said, it is not essential to the plot and a quick read on wikipedia will suffice in terms of story.
However, i would still recommend playing The Witcher as it is a very good game well worth playing, and you will know more about the world and be better prepared for TW2:)

Soldato
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom